Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jukesgirl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-08-2010, 06:51 AM

Considering using DAP

Morning,

I have been taking my dog to training over the last couple of months to see if i can get him to stop being so aggressive to other dogs. It was a problem he came with when i adopted him in March and although the adoption centre told me i would have to live with it i think there is hope as i have had him off lead with some dogs and he is fine but on lead he barks and lunges but he doesn't show teeth or any really aggressive signals.

I am absolutely sure it is fear aggression, he does get quite scared of noises he is not sure of even around the house.

I have been thinking of using DAP to calm him down but as most of his issues are out walking when he sees other dogs i thought that the diffuser would not be the best option which i think leaves me with the spray and the collar.

Is there any advantage to the collar over the spray, i want to get the one that will work best for him so he has a chance at re-adjusting his attitude towards dogs.

I am not bothered if you think the more expensive one is the better option as money is not really an issue here (within reason of course :P )

i just figured that the Dogsey people were the people to ask.

Any advice would be great, i just want to make my dog happy.

Sam
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2010, 07:03 AM
I bought a DAP collar for Poppy, unfortunatly, Ben pulled it in a play fight and snapped it, she only had it on for about 5 mins too
they are made of a sort of plastic/rubber, fine if you only have one dog.

x

ETA. I have started using Rescue Remedy, seems to be calming her down...a tad!!! you can put the drops directly in the mouth or in the water bowl. xx
Jukesgirl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-08-2010, 07:25 AM
I have started using Rescue Remedy, seems to be calming her down...a tad!!! you can put the drops directly in the mouth or in the water bowl.
Is this the Bachs Rescue Remedy thing ... comes in yellow packaging? It seems to be designed for humans, am i looking at the wrong thing or is it just that it works with dogs as well?
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2010, 07:32 AM
Hi there

DAP either works or it doesn't, it seems to vary between dogs. I'd say give it a go for a month and see what happens. my Cain has fear aggression similar to yours and DAP has helped him hugely. He wears the collar and if it runs out and I forget to change it I can see within days the chance in his behaviour. Lunging at everything, he's a nightmare!!! So he will be wearing a DAP collar for sometime now. Expensive yes, but it helps him so much it's worth it.

The advice I wad given was out the collar on him for a month then take it off and monitor behaviour. You'll quickly see if it's helping. I wouldn't be without it.

If he has problems with dogs outside, you'll need a collar. It's good as he'll be continuously exposed to the pherome over the month, both inside and outside the house. The spray works better inside for e.g. Seperation anxiety. When you step outside he would lose the effect (although you could spray it on a bandana). Plus the spray only last up to 2 hours before you need to reapply it. With the collar just stick it on, forget about it for a month and he's always got it's effect with him.

I tried Bachs Rescue flower drops and they didn't help Cain, but they hav helped some dogs. I guess it's like the DAP, only effects certain dogs.

I'd certainly give it a go as when it does help it's a life saver! And if it doesn't, then don't use it but at least you tried! good luck
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Im pretty sure the affects are not meant to be seen untill 3 months of use, so if your going to try it at least try it for the period it advices ( i cant remember exactly how long but im poss it was longer than a month).

I used it with one of mine for her separation anxiety. Used a collar and the plug in for 6 months but I could see no results from it But she did have very severe separation anxiety.

Anythings worth a go eh? I used to get mine cheaper online.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2010, 07:52 AM
I would go for the collar, especially as the issues happen outside.

I have seen some dogs react fantastically, others not so much, but often it is a gradual change, rather than an instant cure (as someone else said - you know when it stops working rather than when it is).

Good luck.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2010, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by Laura-Anne View Post
Im pretty sure the affects are not meant to be seen untill 3 months of use, so if your going to try it at least try it for the period it advices ( i cant remember exactly how long but im poss it was longer than a month).
actually now that you mention it, I do think I read that somewhere. I don't think it means it will take defibately three months, I think it means it COULD take up to three months. Cain definately improved dramatically after just one month. but if you can afford it, try it for three. After 6 months though I guess it wasn't firir your girl, pity though. Is she any better now? Have you tried her on Bachs?
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-08-2010, 08:24 AM
We used the DAP collar on Robbie as he was very nervous and withdrawn when he came to us, and he improved no end. We used to call it his cannabis collar, it chilled him out that much.

You can get it cheaper online, I use Petvetcare for most things we need.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by Jukesgirl View Post
Is this the Bachs Rescue Remedy thing ... comes in yellow packaging? It seems to be designed for humans, am i looking at the wrong thing or is it just that it works with dogs as well?
Yep that's the one, it can be used safely on dogs too

x
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
actually now that you mention it, I do think I read that somewhere. I don't think it means it will take defibately three months, I think it means it COULD take up to three months. Cain definately improved dramatically after just one month. but if you can afford it, try it for three. After 6 months though I guess it wasn't firir your girl, pity though. Is she any better now? Have you tried her on Bachs?
Not sure, sorry what i meant by my post was if your going to give it a go give it the chance to work within the time it says

Yeh it had no affect on her at all She is very laid back usually but when left by herself in the house she would become frantic. I think it was just that severe that it had no impact on her. Dont know if it has any affect but from memory the pheromone has something to with the mothers scent or something doesnt it. Maybe its because shes 14 so didnt have an affect. I dont know just clutching at straws lol

We tried absolutely everything with her for both her male aggresion and her fear of being alone and of fireworks. we were even prescribed meds by the vet it was so severe.

The fear of men I quickly tackled with desensitisation and a lot of positive reinforcement but nothing has worked at all for the fireworks or seperation anxiety except getting my second dog Totts. So we now have the separation anxiety sorted as well just the fireworks to go. The fireworks still are concerning but due to her age (14)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >