Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MarkAndOscar
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-07-2010, 03:52 PM

Pregnancy, Newborn's and dog's!?

Hi All,

A "situation" shall we call it, has arose me and OH think we might be pregnant!

Nothing is confirmed yet but all the signs are there so we are finding out for defo tommorow.

I was just wondering...what do you all think about keeping a Lab while (possibly) preparing for a newborn??

All thought's welcome!

FYI - I personaly really want to keep Oscar, I think it really helps a kid's development with pet's around!

Mark And Oscar
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Hi there,
I completely disagree with people who abandon their pets to have babies. So I'm glad you're tending towards keeping your lab. I think that as long as the dog and the baby are introduced properly and the dog has no chance to get jealous and is given as much attention as possible then there's no reason why it shouldn't work out.

Recently I walked a Border Collie daily. Her owner got pregnant and I was almost 99% sure they would get rid of the dog because she's a little bit hyper and obsessive but not in a horrible way, but I am happy to say that they have persevered and the dog is lovely around the baby and the whole family are getting on really well.
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2010, 03:58 PM
I'm sure others will be along shortly to offer some practical advice, but from me, congratulations if you are having a little 'un!

I think its all about preparing the dog for the baby's arrival, putting gates in place to keep him separate, introducing them slowly and I think I heard that once the baby is born, bring home some of its clothes/blankets to introduce the smell of him/her before the baby comes home

And I think you have the right attitude so far, its great to grow up with a pet

HTH

Sarah x
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 03:59 PM
Well firstly congratulations!

Secondly, there shouldnt be any issues with keeping your dog!

Im due in 1 week 2 days (not that im counting by the way!)

All the way through we have been thinking about adjustments we wanted to make re: the dog when the baby is here.

For example - the spare room is now the nursery and i dont want China going in and possibly waking the baby, so a baby gate will go on....Previously no one could really get in that room but now its cleared etc i dont want her getting used to going in!(it gets an excellent patch of sun mid afternoon!)

any changes you want to make, make them gradually throughout the pregnancy and the dog wont associate them with baby!

I really dont think there is any issues about keeping a dog when expecting! Too many dogs end up rehomed or in rescue when all they have done is shown loyalty and affection. Dogs are often wonderful with children.

Our first dog Beauty was a great dane x mastiff stray my parents took in a few years before i was born. She was the most gentle maternal dog (even had a phantom pregnancy whilst mum was expecting me! ) she even helped teach me to walk! She would walk slowly next to me whilst i had hold of her collar!

Children and dogs, are great together, they just need supervision.

Good Luck!

Alex
xx
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 04:00 PM
*Disclaimer - I don't have children!*

Firstly, hopeful congratulations to you!

I don't think that there is any problem with having dogs and children together (unless you have an existing dog with a dislike of children).

I think bringing up children with a dog in the house is a wonderful idea. It's good for the dog and the child. Actually, I wish my dogs had been exposed to more small children...

I suppose you need to consider routines for Oscar - where he is allowed to go in the house (e.g. beds, sofa, upstairs etc), who feeds/walks/cleans up etc. There are some things your OH won't be able to do when she is heavily pregnant, so it might fall to you to take on the jobs!

You'll need to consider how Oscar would cope if he didn't get a walk for a day or two if you were both so sleep deprived you couldn't take him out; and how he would behave if the baby was taking your time up etc.

I suspect 9/10 times, most dogs would just adjust to the change in routine; and enjoy having the new family member around. There are loads of Dogsey members who have successfully brought up babies around all sorts of dog breeds. One of our members, Brundog, is having (or has had?) her baby in the last 24 hours or so!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-07-2010, 04:03 PM
For me a dog's for life so it never entered my head to do anything other than keep my dogs when I became pregnant. You need to take sensible precautions but nothing more than that really. As already said you can put the gates etc in place as soon as you like to get him used to them. I found a travel cot with mesh sides to be very useful as they could see and sniff at a distance before being formally introduced. Once that went fine I then allowed the dog to lick the babies feet. You can if you wish get a crying baby doll so that the dog get used to that too but I never found it necessary.
If you're only just pregnant you have loads of time to get the dog ready to accept your baby.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-07-2010, 04:05 PM
Whats the problem? my son has twin babies and and a mad Springer Zak.

The dog is not left alone with the babies (he wouldn't hurt them but would leap on them and lick them to death). When they are older Zak will play with them under supervision. When he is in the room with the babies he is praised for coming to sniff them gently .

They all go for walks together, the babies is carry slings and Zak on his lead or free so he doesn't get left out,this has also helped him learn to associate them with pleasurable things.

When I have the babies here my dog Chloe is alowed to sniff them and praised for being calm, I usually put her on the lead because the babies are often on the floor on their play mats. Again she wouldn't harm them but gets so excited and wants to lick their faces and play with them .

It's really a matter of using a little common sense.

Years ago when I arrived home with my baby son my then elderly dog Bunny took up residence by his cot and watched over him, she was so gentle with him and I know she would not have allowed anyone strange near him. .

You may find this article of help.
http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=10261
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Whats the problem?
One of my friends has been advised by several 'health professionals' that she should get rid of the dog before she gives birth... of course, she is adamant that this will not happen, and has been lectured quite a lot about it.

Wonder if it could be a common issue when pregnant?
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
One of my friends has been advised by several 'health professionals' that she should get rid of the dog before she gives birth... of course, she is adamant that this will not happen, and has been lectured quite a lot about it.

Wonder if it could be a common issue when pregnant?
Seroiously? is this within Lancashire? all the midwives etc ive spoken to have been really positive about having the dog and a baby!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
Seroiously? is this within Lancashire? all the midwives etc ive spoken to have been really positive about having the dog and a baby!
Not sure if she falls under Cumbria, being in north Lancaster??

Several of the midwives/HV's have mentioned dog attacks becoming more prevalent, dogs carry lots of germs, dogs squashing babies etc. Pretty standard stuff really - all common sense to avoid!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »