Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2010, 05:55 AM

Hair not growing back after op

As you know Shady had her cruciate op 4 and a half weeks ago, heg leg was obviously shaved and she had a big square shaved off her back where they put an epidural.
The hair just hasn't started to grow in either area at all she is still as bald as when she came home on the day after the op. She is also starting to get dry scaly skin on her leg. I am adding some oily fish to her diet to try and help this but didn't want to put creams on her because being stuck in a cage bored she would pass the time licking cream straight off.
Kyiro had a lump removed and was shaved a week later, and his hair is growing back nicely. Shadys hair has always grown back remarkable quickly in the past if she has had a bit shaved, the fact there is still no sign of it coming through is now getting rather concerning.
Any ideas?

LittleMonkies
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-07-2010, 06:43 AM
HI,

I've had that with Ben, not quite the same thing as you.

In October I trapped his tail in the door ans he had to be sedated while the vet sorted him out and obviously he ha the front leg shaved for that. It started growing back within a week. Two weeks later he was neutered and they shaved his leg again but it didn't seen to grow back for almost a moth but Max's grew back fast.

I didn't understand it at all
rich8000
New Member!
Male 

17-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Hi
I had a similar problem some time back with our lab. The vet thought it was an under-active thiroud gland and treated for that. He was soon sorted, however he was quite old (13) at the time and had a series of ops for a tumer prior to this so it may be different in your case.
hope he's A1 again soon.
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Boomer had some fur shaved in January for a heart scan (he's nearly 15 and been on Vetmedin since November last year) and this didn't grow back until the fur on his tail was shaved after Teagan bit his tail (June). We took blood to test for thyroid (t4) and cushings and urine test for diabetes, these were all ok.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Oh dear, poor Shady! On top of the trauma of the op she now has the indignity of bald patches Don't worry Bev, it WILL grow back eventually - sometimes for no apparent reason this sort of thing can happen, so don't panic just yet and put that boot polish away!

One day you will wake up and Shady will have that first fuzzy regrowth.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Kaliska currently has a bald patch , which does not look like it will grow back, on her leg where she has a drip in for almost a week.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2010, 07:54 PM
IS she on steroids? That sometimes stops hair growth.