Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pointyhound
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-07-2010, 02:50 PM

Reddish sloppy poo

Hi,

My dog produced a small red sloopy poo on our walk about an hour ago. There seemed to be redder jelly like bits in it.

He is ok in himself.
He also did a normal poo this morning and earlier this afternoon at the same times as normal - regular as clockwork.

In the 3 years we've had him (he's now 5) he's never produced anyhting like this so I don't know if it's cause for concern.

Our vets close at 6.30 do I could try to take him in, but since he's otherwise fine I don't know if I should just keep an eye on him. He is not easy to examine because of issues he came to us with, so taking him in as a over-precaution isn't as easy as it would be for a normal dog.

Advice please....?
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-07-2010, 03:41 PM
phone the vet and see if they think you need to go in
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2010, 04:19 PM
I've had this many times with one of my dogs sometimes I leave it, sometimes I take him, like you say, depends on his overall picture. It's either something that's irritated his bowel, causing it to bleed, and infection in there somewhere again causing it to bleed, or just plain inflammable of the bowel but something has caused that, maybe some food.

It could be severe straining if the dog had an upset stomach of any description, so again, that would cause the colon to bleed. I remember vets telling me in the past, when I have jellified globules of blood in the poo, it's usually some kind of bowel infection and give me ab's to clear it up.

I've had neat blood gushing out like a hosepipe too from one of my dogs, but that was something serious, so nowadays, I don't always rush off to the vets when I see a streak of jellified blood, so if you're happy with the way he is, just keep a strict eye on him, or phone the vets for advice would be my wtg.

Good luck, hope all is well tomorrow!
pointyhound
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Thanks guys,

I've phoned my OH who is away this week. Apparently he has done a poo like this in the past as a one off.
I'll keep an eye on him and if it reoccurs tonight or in the morning or if there is any other symptoms I'll take him to v.e.t. in the morning.

He is a sensitive soul normally, so if there is something wrong he is normally very down in the dumps.

Fingers crossed just a one off!
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-07-2010, 06:14 PM
The jelly type mucus is caused by irritation of the stomach lining and the redness sounds like blood, but don't panic because red fresh blood is nothing serious - it usually means that the stomach lining is irritated or a fissure/split in the anal passage is bleeding. See how the dog is tomorrow and hopefully everything will be fine. Have you wormed the dog recently? Sometimes, that can cause these symptoms?
pointyhound
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-07-2010, 01:00 PM
well, he's been fine today so far.
Morning poo was normal and just about to take him out for his proper walk of the day.

He didn't want his tea last night and I was thinking I'd made the wrong decision because the vets were closed by then of course. I left it down for him and he had it about 2 hours later than normal. I guess it was a minor irritation of some bit of digestive system.

I'll definately speak to the vet if it reoccurs.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2010, 03:37 PM
So pleased he's now ok, enjoy your walk!
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Bleeding like that can also be a sign of Colitis which is an imflamation of thes tomach and can be caused by various things. Glad things are improving now xx