Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 02:01 PM

Oh dear, I'm not popular with herself

So April (my stepdaughter) is 18, been living with us for nearly 4 years and has only ever lifted the iron when she needed something urgently. She has just finished school and is due to go to Uni after the summer.

Today I handed her her clean washing and told her that from now on she will be doing her own ironing....if looks could have killed...

At least I'm not as bad as her ex boyfriend's mum. She made him do his own ironing, cooking, washing, dishes and buy his own clothes, and anything else he may have needed.

Think I'm in for an evening of silence and filthy looks from her.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 02:07 PM
ahh well 18 is old enough to be doing things for her self!
I think its good to give kids their own responsibilites from a young age. when she is at uni, she should be doing her own stuff.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 02:08 PM
I think you're quite right!! She's old enough to do her own ironing!! After all she'll have to do it when she goes to uni!
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by lore View Post
So April (my stepdaughter) is 18, been living with us for nearly 4 years and has only ever lifted the iron when she needed something urgently. She has just finished school and is due to go to Uni after the summer.

Today I handed her her clean washing and told her that from now on she will be doing her own ironing....if looks could have killed...

At least I'm not as bad as her ex boyfriend's mum. She made him do his own ironing, cooking, washing, dishes and buy his own clothes, and anything else he may have needed.

She'll get over it. I think she's lucky you have been ironing her clothes up until now. My two, ages 17 and 21 have done their own ironing (or wearing crumpled clothes) since they were about 15.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
She'll get over it. I think she's lucky you have been ironing her clothes up until now. My two, ages 17 and 21 have done their own ironing (or wearing crumpled clothes) since they were about 15.
Yeah, I was ironing my whole family's stuff when I was 15...everyone's and there was 4 of us, including my little brother who was the messiest little git you could meet She has had it easy
Luckypirate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2010, 02:44 PM

In all and total fairness...I'm exactly the same age as her, about to go to uni in September and I only iron out of desperation, my Mum does it! I would have been impressed haha.
I do most other stuff for myself though tbh.
The way I see it, she has a couple more months of dependance and doing nothing for herself, then it'll be all on her, so let her enjoy it while it lasts. As long as she knows how, so she isn't screwed when she does go to uni.
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2010, 02:58 PM
I detest ironing as soon as my son and daughter are unlikely to burn themselves they will be ironing!

I'm not one of those houseproud mums- if they try the I can't do it trick- they'll be going out like a crupled mess.

Man I hate ironing.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Yeah, I was ironing my whole family's stuff when I was 15...everyone's and there was 4 of us, including my little brother who was the messiest little git you could meet She has had it easy
Likewise - except there was 6 in our family and I had to do the lot. PLUS my mum insisted on EVERYTHING being ironed - sheets, towels, socks, undies, hankies - the lot

Is it any wonder that I can't stand the site of an iron now and hang my clothes up immediately they have been washed so that I can avoid it altogether
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Likewise - except there was 6 in our family and I had to do the lot. PLUS my mum insisted on EVERYTHING being ironed - sheets, towels, socks, undies, hankies - the lot

Is it any wonder that I can't stand the site of an iron now and hang my clothes up immediately they have been washed so that I can avoid it altogether
Oh yes, I had to iron the towels and dishtowels, although she did balk at doing the undies She used to put a crease in my jeans too
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Oh dear she will survive.

My two boys can both iron and they had too sometimes as I detest ironing too, so if they wanted a shirt or jeans in a hurry it was easier and quicker to do it themselves.

If I had someone to do my ironing for me I would want the underwear and towels etc., ironed too.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >