Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2010, 02:14 PM

One (or 2) types of meat?

I have an 11 year old Retriever x who has been on a raw diet for a month or so now, it's really worked wonders for his skin and breath, although he hasn't always been keen eating the minced food and is a bit picky with bones but will eat chicken wings, turkey necks, chicken necks and chicken carcass easily.
The only minced meat he will eat is minced turkey (I have chicken and lamb as well and he won't eat them) I have tried blanching them but he isn't interested (although he gobbles down the blanched turkey).

Would it be detrimental to him to only have minced turkey through the week and then chicken carcass/chicken wings/ turkey necks/chicken necks at the weekend? (I am thinking about buying some tripe for him to try, and will occasionally buy liver to feed)
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2010, 07:40 AM
Since you have only been raw feeding for a month now, I wouldn't worry too much about a lot of variety. Each meat should be introduced over a week or two before the next one is added to the diet. This way, if any problems arise, you can pinpoint which meat source may be the cause.

Why are you feeding him minced? The prefared stuff is big a whole pieces, letting the dogs teeth get a good cleaning, jaws and brain getting a work out. Mince takes the interesting work out of it for a dog. Though if the dog has dental problems etc, sometimes minced is an option. (Can also be stuffed into kongs to make it last a bit longer and become a bit more interesting.

When introducing stuff my dog weren't enthusiastic (spl?) about, I used to make like I was preparing human food and throw them bits from the counter. They scoffed it down with relish when they believed it to be forbidden fruit. Though sometimes it's just not worth the battle and you can move on to the next type of meat to try that.

Variety is a wonderful thing and I do feel that dogs benifit from red meat in their diet. However I also do feel that a diet of only chicken and turkey would be better than a commercial diet.

Don't forget to start introducing liver and other organs you can get a hold of soon, prefarably from chicken.turkey to start off with since you have already given those meat sources with no adverse effects or objections. Some dogs object to the texture of liver. I got round this with one of mine by feeding small chunks of it to her frozen when I knew she was hungry and keen for food. She still gets it frozen to this day, but doesn't think twice about it now.

Hope that's of some help.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2010, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
Would it be detrimental to him to only have minced turkey through the week and then chicken carcass/chicken wings/ turkey necks/chicken necks at the weekend?
Just to address this question.

I think feeding mince only throughout the week with no bone would leave the dog with quite loose stools, then perhaps becoming bunged up at the weekends with higher bone content in the feeds. Why not toss him some bones during the week as well?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2010, 08:44 AM
try mixing in a little of the other minces with the ones they will eat??
agree with Evie, not ideal but better than kibble to just have a couple of meats they will eat