Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-06-2010, 09:09 AM

Pup gone off food and whining

Morning everyone. I am a bit concerned about Bobby and hope you can all give me a bit of reassurance.

He is 15 weeks old now and yesterday and again so far this morning he has been reluctant to eat. Normally he will eat anything and everything he can and cleans his dish every mealtime.

Now though he just eats a wee bit of kibble then walks away. I have even given him some raw carrot which is a favourite treat that he sits and munches happily, but he has just ignored it.

I did mix some raw Prize Choice defrosted fish in with his kibble this morning, and wet it with a bit of warm water and he did eat some of it, but nothing like he would normally.

He also seems to be drinking a bit more than normal

Other than this he seems really well - playing, running about like a looney, chewing on everything he can.

I am wondering whether he may be having teething pain or is that a daft notion? Do dogs go off their grub when they are getting their teeth?

I would really appreciate some advice from all you experts, thanks a lot.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-06-2010, 09:32 AM
It sounds as if it could be his teeth. Perhaps he has a puppy tooth which is a bit difficult coming away and making his mouth a bit sore. If his motions are OK and he is not being sick - just not eating much - I don't think I would worry too much at this stage. Can you examine his mouth to check what is going on?
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-06-2010, 10:01 AM
I have had a quick look and can't see anything obviously wrong - no teeth broken or obviously loose that I can see.

Would it be better to keep him on mushy food for a few days do you think?
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-06-2010, 10:44 AM
It tends to depend on the dog. Whenever one of my Labs didn't eat, I took it to the vet that day and got treatment for the problem. I let the one shepherd we had go 3 days on nibbles and didn't worry about it.

Don't focus on getting the dog to eat, but on what is causing it not to eat.

Are you keeping it lean? Over feeding can lead to eating problems. The answer is feeding less, not more tempting food. Are his ribs easy to feel?
michele44
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Labman, a puppy shouldn't be lean!!!...well imo anyway...when my 12 week old puppy had the runs for almost 2 weeks..that was lean and just not right,

iif your 15 week old puppy is well in all other aspects i would leave it a bit longer...my 2 pups who Are now 16 weeks...somtimes leave a little but i have known 1 of them leave it all...then he rights himself,

just out of curiosity what food so you feed yours? mine went on to wianwrights and that sorted their bowels out thank goodness
this weather is rubbish for them ...wet and filthy floors

oh wel not to sorry lol

michele xxxxx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by montysmum View Post
Morning everyone. I am a bit concerned about Bobby and hope you can all give me a bit of reassurance.

He is 15 weeks old now and yesterday and again so far this morning he has been reluctant to eat. Normally he will eat anything and everything he can and cleans his dish every mealtime.

Now though he just eats a wee bit of kibble then walks away. I have even given him some raw carrot which is a favourite treat that he sits and munches happily, but he has just ignored it.

I did mix some raw Prize Choice defrosted fish in with his kibble this morning, and wet it with a bit of warm water and he did eat some of it, but nothing like he would normally.

He also seems to be drinking a bit more than normal

Other than this he seems really well - playing, running about like a looney, chewing on everything he can.

I am wondering whether he may be having teething pain or is that a daft notion? Do dogs go off their grub when they are getting their teeth?

I would really appreciate some advice from all you experts, thanks a lot.
Hi Diana the behaviour you describe is typical of a teething puppy. When teething some puppies will bark at the food and back away, others don't want to eat.

Are you soaking the kibble? I would feed only moist food for the moment and see if that makes any difference.

If Bobby is peeing and pooing ok, seems well in every other way I would not be unduly concerned. If however you feel he is not well or refuses to eat for a number of days I would see the vet.

If Bobby's gums are sore something cool to chew like a moistened knotted frozen tea towel or frozen whole carrot may help.

ETA re the drinking more, it could just be the warm weather but needs to be monitored in case there is a medical problem developing.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by montysmum View Post
chewing on everything he can.
Could he have eaten something he shouldn't?
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
It tends to depend on the dog. Whenever one of my Labs didn't eat, I took it to the vet that day and got treatment for the problem. I let the one shepherd we had go 3 days on nibbles and didn't worry about it.

Don't focus on getting the dog to eat, but on what is causing it not to eat.

Are you keeping it lean? Over feeding can lead to eating problems. The answer is feeding less, not more tempting food. Are his ribs easy to feel?
I dont think I am overfeeding. On first sight he does look a roly-poly pup but a lot of that is the curly fur he has. I can feel his ribs and backbone, although they are not visible, which I believe is a rough guideline for how they are meant to be.

I weighed him this morning actually and he was approx 13lb so I think weight wise he is ok
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-06-2010, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by wallaroo View Post
Could he have eaten something he shouldn't?
Hiya wallaroo, thanks for the suggestion. That has me thinking and all I can bring to mind is that he does have a habit of picking up any bits of wood he comes across.

I dont let him chew them, and take them off him as soon as I see it though. I will have a good look in his mouth and make sure there are no cuts etc.

I am just defrosting some meat for his lunch and see how he goes with that.

Maybe I should go and get him some Bonjella
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-06-2010, 04:23 PM
If he is in the habit of chewing bits of wood, then it is possible he has a splinter or shaft of wood stuck somewhere. He may have had something lodged somewhere which has now gone leaving him feeling a bit sore. I think I would keep offering him his usual food, but starts slavvering or does not improve, let the vet take a look. Best wishes.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >