Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-05-2010, 02:02 PM

Crash boy died after ‘refusing transfusion’

A teenager killed after a horror car smash in the Black Country died after refusing a blood transfusion because he was a Jehovah’s Witness, it was claimed today.

Joshua McAuley, aged 15, is said to have declined the treatment recommended by doctors and was not overruled by members of his family. The Shireland Collegiate Academy pupil was crushed after a car careered off the road and crashed into a shop in Cape Hill, Smethwick.

It took an hour for emergency services to free the teenager from rubble after a red Vauxhall Astra smashed into the front of off-licence and grocers Saya International Foods on Saturday.

Tragic Joshua, who was pinned against the front of the shop, was flown to Selly Oak Hospital in Birmingham by Midland Air Ambulance suffering serious injuries to his legs and abdomen but he died six hours later.

Church representatives today said Joshua made the choice not to have the transfusion because of his faith.

Under medical law, doctors are required to decide whether a child under 16 is competent enough to consent to or refuse medical treatment without the need for parental permission or knowledge.

Jehovah’s Witnesses follow the belief that blood is sacred and transfusions are prohibited by the bible.

Fellow members of his congregation at Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Smethwick where Joshua and his family worshipped claimed he told doctors at the hospital: “no blood, no blood, no blood.”

Clive Parker, an elder at the hall, said: “I believe he was conscious enough after the accident and he made a stand on the blood issue. He made the choice personally.”

University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Trust spokesman Gareth Duggan said they could not comment on individual cases.

“There’s not one single policy and not one single law regarding transfusions,” he said. “There’s no automatic right to override parental wishes or that of a minor. It’s a very complex area that has to be approached on a case by case basis.”

Horrified neighbours watched as Joshua was pinned against the front of the shop and a woman pedestrian thrown along the street after the car hit the building.

Residents and shopkeepers rushed out onto the street, but were held back by emergency service crews, who feared the whole building could collapse after the crash at 11.15am on Saturday.

Keen basketball player died in hospital at 5.30pm on Saturday.The 24-year-old woman hit by the car is thought to have been walking with Josh and was left seriously injured and was taken to City Hospital for treatment.

A 28-year-old man from Winson Green was arrested and has been bailed.
http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2...g-transfusion/

Tragic case. WHile i disagree with this teaching i hold a healthy respect to him for holding onto his faith till death the way he did.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2010, 03:31 PM
This is so sad and such a waste of life, i agree with you, can't understand their teachings and do not agree with them, but have to admire his courage and belief .
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2010, 05:02 PM
Tragic. It is a person choice, I suppose, but this is another of the many reasons why I hate religion, especially ones such as this. The folk are brainwashed.

They claim blood is sacred. What about actual existent life in itself? Do they not consider that sacred? A hypocritical "rule" in itself, IMO.

What about the family and friends left behind? JWs or not, it will still be difficult for them.

Complete madness.

JMO.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Tragic. It is a person choice, I suppose, but this is another of the many reasons why I hate religion, especially ones such as this. The folk are brainwashed.

They claim blood is sacred. What about actual existent life in itself? Do they not consider that sacred? A hypocritical "rule" in itself, IMO.

What about the family and friends left behind? JWs or not, it will still be difficult for them.

Complete madness.

JMO.
I spoke to a JW about this once -as I could not understand it.
From what they were saying it is not so much that the blood is sacred, it is the biological makeup within the blood (all your genes). They do not like the idea of taking someone elses Genes into their bodies. (This is how it was described to me)

I feel very sorry for the family.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2010, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I spoke to a JW about this once -as I could not understand it.
From what they were saying it is not so much that the blood is sacred, it is the biological makeup within the blood (all your genes). They do not like the idea of taking someone elses Genes into their bodies. (This is how it was described to me)

I feel very sorry for the family.
Crazy. What a load of rubbish, IMO. I'll never understand it at all.

I feel sorry for the family as well.

If the family are JWs and still fail to understand how this type of thing is nonsense then they must really be brainwashed.

What an absolute waste of life.
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2010, 05:14 PM
When I was a Nurse I helped look after a young patient who was slowly bleeding to death and refusing to have a transfusion.

We got all sorts of legal advice, had lawyers round the bedside at one point because the patients partner, who was not formally recognised as next of kin, wanted the transfusion to go ahead, but the family and the patient didn't.

It was not until this patient was literally minutes from death, that the patient relented and decided to go ahead with the transfusion. If I remember correctly they had something like 10 units of blood in the first few hours - much quicker than the usual rate of transfusion, and the same amount over the next day or so.

The patient did survive, and went home, but some of the family were deeply unhappy about the decision, and some, who had been round the bedside to be there 'at the death' so to speak, didn't visit again.

It was a weird experience to see all this going on and I couldn't help but think that if it were someone dear to me, I would want to do anything at all to save them, to try and get them well again.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by montysmum View Post
When I was a Nurse I helped look after a young patient who was slowly bleeding to death and refusing to have a transfusion.

We got all sorts of legal advice, had lawyers round the bedside at one point because the patients partner, who was not formally recognised as next of kin, wanted the transfusion to go ahead, but the family and the patient didn't.

It was not until this patient was literally minutes from death, that the patient relented and decided to go ahead with the transfusion. If I remember correctly they had something like 10 units of blood in the first few hours - much quicker than the usual rate of transfusion, and the same amount over the next day or so.

The patient did survive, and went home, but some of the family were deeply unhappy about the decision, and some, who had been round the bedside to be there 'at the death' so to speak, didn't visit again.

It was a weird experience to see all this going on and I couldn't help but think that if it were someone dear to me, I would want to do anything at all to save them, to try and get them well again.

I agree and cannot understand it - but maybe - because of their belief they would not see them as the same person (because of the gene thing)

Giving blood is such a great gift....its a shame not everyone sees it that way.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by montysmum View Post

Not right in the head, these folk!

Your last paragraph is what I think as well.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2010, 05:52 PM
ouch!
My mum was a Jehovahs Witness for some time when we were young, my dad wasn't. I used to go along to meetings myself. We didn't celebrate Christmas and birthdays, but it was ok, I was spoilt rotten all year with dogs and horses to keep me busy Me and my friends would have 'present days' once a year.

So as kids perhaps we had the get out clause that my dad would authorise the transfusion bless him, maybe thats why he wouldn't become one. I do respect my mum for standing by her faith.

They believe in life in paradise after death if you treat others right and follow the beliefs in the bible. The bible condemn blood transfusions.

They certainlly don't go around KILLING people like a lot of other religions!

You can't really condemn the religion till you know more about it. Have you ever known a Jehovahs Witness anyone? They are wholesome people, lovely people. My good friend is one, never smokes, drinks, swears, gambles or has sex, she is the most honest, kindest and caring person I have ever met. A true sweetie, confident and happy, pretty with a fantastic career, training as a consultant psychiatrist in London.

I hate to see people announcing things such as 'they are not right in the head' - she is VERY right in the head,actually they are, a lot more than a lot of others *ah hem*. For one thing, she never judges others, why would she, she believes she is following the right religion, and maybe she is. Good for her!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2010, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by AshMan View Post
http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2...g-transfusion/

Tragic case. WHile i disagree with this teaching i hold a healthy respect to him for holding onto his faith till death the way he did.
Very well said Ash man and so do I
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »