Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
RFM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-05-2010, 06:50 AM

Spondylosis...anyone have experience?

My dog was diagnosed with Spondylosis on Friday adn I've done a great deal of research today on it and wanted to hear if anyone here has experience with it.

Andy woke up unable to walk on Wednesday, he is knuckling on all 4 legs and is in a lot of pain. He was on Rimadyl for arthritis but we stopped it on Wednesday and began Dexapro...he's taking 6 tablets a day. We are going to treat like this for 10 days and see if there is improvement and if there isn't, we have to make some decisions. He is still knuckling, falling when walking and unable to stand on his own for very long....he is laying down to eat. When standing, he looks like those cartoon characters on ice with all 4 legs going different directions.

Anyone have experience with this and can give me some real life experiences?
KelliJasper
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-05-2010, 07:14 AM
What breed is he?
My Yellow Lab had something similar. He would get boughts of it through out his years, when the cold weather hit.
RFM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-05-2010, 07:27 AM
Andy is a 9.5 year old Dachsund mix. How did it progress in your dog?
spaznchevy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-05-2010, 07:37 AM
i have no exp. in it....but i do hope everything goes when for you and little andy
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2010, 07:50 AM
A friends gsd had it, some days she was really bad others she got her self around. She dragged her legs but managed, we tried a harness with wheels but she hated it, we also used a towel as a sling to help her up. Once she messed all the time they let her go as she started to develop a urine burn.
ATD x
RFM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
A friends gsd had it, some days she was really bad others she got her self around. She dragged her legs but managed, we tried a harness with wheels but she hated it, we also used a towel as a sling to help her up. Once she messed all the time they let her go as she started to develop a urine burn.
ATD x
Unfortunately, a harness is not an option as his is in his neck, at the C2-C3 vertebrate and is affected all of his legs. He has no strength in them to pull himself.

He has not had any issues with soiling himself yet so that is good. If you don't mind my asking, how long did the progression take for your friend's dog?
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2010, 07:57 AM
About six months I think it was a few years ago but she front end was fine. People though it was her hips that were effected
ATD x
RFM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-05-2010, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
About six months I think it was a few years ago but she front end was fine. People though it was her hips that were effected
ATD x
Thank you.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Spondylosis is arthritis which affects the spine. It is very common in older dogs. Spondilitis is far more serious. I assume the dog ATD means had ankylosing spondylitis, which is degenerative. Spondylosis is manageable, and a symptom of ageing. Which does your dog have? Because treatment is very different.
I had a dog with spondylosis diagnosed age 7 or 8, who died last year aged 15, still happily pottering about. You get flare-ups as the spurs on the vertebrae form, then the body seems to adjust.
I found acupucture the best for my dog, with NSAIDs as needed. He also benefitted from a couple of visits to a chiropractor, and my vet showed me how to massage the muscles on either side of the spine to stop them going into spasm and take out the knots. Keeping him warm helped (a coat in winter) and swimming was good in warm weather.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-05-2010, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Spondylosis is arthritis which affects the spine. It is very common in older dogs. Spondilitis is far more serious. I assume the dog ATD means had ankylosing spondylitis, which is degenerative. Spondylosis is manageable, and a symptom of ageing. Which does your dog have? Because treatment is very different.
I had a dog with spondylosis diagnosed age 7 or 8, who died last year aged 15, still happily pottering about. You get flare-ups as the spurs on the vertebrae form, then the body seems to adjust.
I found acupucture the best for my dog, with NSAIDs as needed. He also benefitted from a couple of visits to a chiropractor, and my vet showed me how to massage the muscles on either side of the spine to stop them going into spasm and take out the knots. Keeping him warm helped (a coat in winter) and swimming was good in warm weather.
Have one here too, he was diagnosed around 6/7 and is now 10, he has bad days and good day, but over all he does well...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >