Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gavin o'connor
New Member!
Male 

09-05-2010, 11:28 PM

Is play too rough?

I have two dachshunds, a puppy bitch (missy) and a young dog (Bertie). I am a first time dog owner and I am worried the play fighting might be too rough for her, she is only small but she doesn't yelp, it is usually her that starts fights and he is never overtly aggressive, growling or baring teeth etc. I have included a link to them playing, what do you think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ72A2GIecc

Thanks

Gavin
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2010, 11:51 PM
Definitely wouldn't allow your older dog to drag the pup around like that. Gentle distraction works wonders
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Other than the dragging bit they seem to be having a typical ,i would say gentle ,play fight compared to the way my 2 used to go at it as pups( 6mnths between them) Go by the dogs reactions if one seems to be getting too ruff or yelping get their attention away from each other or split them up for a while,we always knew if ours were playing because we would say "whats this?" our phrase for come and see if we have a treat ,dog biscuit whatever if it's not serious they came charging over to us and sat waiting for their food!