Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-06-2005, 06:14 PM

Crating a dog

This isnt for me,but my sister who has a 10 week old Boxer.

Sis bought a lovley new spacious dog crate,but Lola refuses to go inside.Even if you place her food bowl inside-she will jump about outside the crate in frustration and wont go inside! She isnt frightened of it and couple of days ago,sis's 17 year old Collie went iside for a crafty sleep-Lola threw a right old fit and started jumping around barking.

I was round there earlier and put Lola inside-where she continually jumped about biting the cage.From what i could make out,she was like a child having a temper tantrum and when i popped my finger through to calm her down-she bit me quite hard.

At night,she sleeps in their bedroom on another dog bed because of this problem and i figured she has gotten used to this routine.

Should sis simply place Lola inside and ignore her whining/temper tantrum or something else???
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-06-2005, 06:18 PM
Its really up to your sister Steve. If she wants her crate trained she should persevere. Hopefully someone with more experience of crates will be able to help you more
jacquie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2005, 06:19 PM
personally I wouldnt. We are talking about a baby here. To my mind she needs love, companionship and trust before you try anythin. There again I could just be over cencitive the moment.
Meg
Supervisor

11-06-2005, 12:20 AM
Hi Steve
Things to try to get Lola used to the crate.
Put her in when she is tired after a walk or play,
Do the above,close the crate door, get sister to sit where she can be seen by Lola but ignore her..no eye contact..read a book/paper. Do this for a few mins. regularly.
Put something in the crate that smells of you sister (like an old jumper she has worn but no buttons)
Part cover the crate with a blanket,
Feed Lola in the crate,
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

11-06-2005, 02:24 AM
In addition to Mini's good advice -

You said the crate is "spacious", maybe it is a bit too big for the puppy? If it is an adult sized crate then it may need to be made smaller & thus cosier. You can reduce the space by using either a removable commercial divider or a piece of cardboard, wood, or wire which can be moved to accomodate her as she grows. Be sure that any home-made partition is safe for the pup should she try to chew it and that it does not have any sharp edges or protrusions. The pup needs just sufficient room to stand up, turn round, and lay out flat without being cramped. Anything larger will not feel as secure for her and it will not help with housetraining if she has room to move away from her bedding to toilet inside the crate. Make sure that she does not feel isolated. The crate should be in a quiet spot but where she can see what is going on.

Needless to say, the pup should never be banished to her crate for an act of naughtiness. The crate should be her den, safe and secure, not a place associated with punishment.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-06-2005, 08:49 AM
Thanks all for top advice!

Even when she is flat out asleep and you carefuly place her inside-she immediately wakes and hops out.She is never banished to the crate and sis simply wants it to be her special place to call her own.There is always toys etc in there and water,but Lola point blankly refuses to use it.

I've got to pop round there soon,so will tell her everything you have all told me.

Fingers crossed!
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2005, 09:22 AM
I would gently place her inside the crate several times a day and then treat and praise her.After a few days leave her for longer and move further away.
I would also put her food just inside the crate and walk away...she'll soon learn to go in and eat it
The thing is if she gives up she may NEED to use it later if the pup becomes a chewer etc.Its like anything new...persevere!