Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2010, 12:51 PM

How Dog Friendly is London?

Ok this may seem like a daft question.... but as it says how Dog friendly is London!???

I have never been to London and have always wanted to go but mum is not really able to look after Ben anymore as her back is too bad. So we were discussing taking Ben with us.

But I wondered how feasable this would be. I HATE shopping so its not like I would trail round shops, but I would like to do the touristy stuff so I guess I want to know what could we do with Ben in tow, and is there plenty of places that you can eat outdoors etc.

Its just an idea so if its a silly one please say and we will go too York instead!!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2010, 01:26 PM
I think you would be limited with a dog for the touristy stuff to be honest. None of the indoor touristy bits will allow dogs. You could certainly go sight seeing all around London, hit the parks, etc., but it would be a shame to miss out on some of the 'good' stuff.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks Labradork, that what I thought. I wouldn't mind doing outdoorsy stuff but would like to see the palace, houses of parliament, tower bridge, go on the thames, maybe see the mews. Am not really into stuff like The London Dungeon, or Tuessauds or things like that and the London Eye is a definite no no (hate heights and get claustrophobic!!)
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Thanks Labradork, that what I thought. I wouldn't mind doing outdoorsy stuff but would like to see the palace, houses of parliament, tower bridge, go on the thames, maybe see the mews. Am not really into stuff like The London Dungeon, or Tuessauds or things like that and the London Eye is a definite no no (hate heights and get claustrophobic!!)
Well, you could view all those things from the outside! it would be a shame to miss out looking around St. Paul's Cathedral which is absolutely beautiful inside...my favourite 'landmark' by a mile. Tower of London is also worth seeing.

I think if I were in your shoes my preference would be to leave the dog at home (in someones capable hands of course ) and enjoy the trip without restriction.
Luchi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-05-2010, 02:27 PM
I think it is really do-able, especially if the weather is good. I recently did a 6.5 mile walk (approx) from the Embankment, along The Thames,past the London Eye, past Big Ben, past the War Cabinet rooms, into St James Park, where you can see Buckingham palace, The Mall etc. onto Green Park, and then onto Hyde Park (Diana Memorial fountain). Hyde Park has plenty of places to stop for a Beer/Soft drink, and a bite to eat. with outside tables They even have water bowls outside for dogs. It was a really lovely day, and although I did not have my dog with me (she is a large breed pup, and we are restricting her exercise until she older). We had a really fantastic day.

So that part is great with a well behaved dog, the only other thing I would add is avoid busy places at peak times in morning and from about 4.30-6.30pm when everything gets manic, especially public transport. I think some dogs may find the squeeze a bit stressful. If you are planning on using public transport, I would check ahead as not sure on the policy regarding dogs. Parking in Central London is expensive, but worth it if you are talking your dog.

Hope this helps.