Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 01:18 PM

BARF diet for pups?

Does anyone feed their pups on the Barf diet?

I feed my 2 older dogs a mixture of Barf and canned food, but I said if I got a pup I would start it on Barf from day one.

What sort of things do you feed the pup? I have read chicken wings, minced carcass and bits of meat?
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 01:59 PM
My 2 girls I got at 7 weeks old and I changed them straight onto a barf diet, they had minced chicken, beef, lamb and tripe to start with.
I have a litter of 4 week old Border Collie puppies at the moment and I have started weaning them over the last week. As a couple of the new owners don't want to feed raw I have tried giving them a couple of meals of minced chicken or turkey mashed up with welpi and a couple of meals of soaked burns mini bites mashed up with welpi. What I have found is that the raw mince they eat all up, but the burns they only lap up the welpi and leave the mashed biscuit for mum to finnish.
Jfk
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Hi
I feed all mine barf and couldn't feed anything else. A friend feeds natural instinct and swears by it,it's all done for you and delivered frozen overnight free of charge. Website is www.naturalinstinct.com (I think) it makes for interesting reading if nothing else!
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2010, 09:38 PM
I hadnt heard of Natural Instinct but it does look like a good idea, especially as it is delivered frozen.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Jfk View Post
Hi
I feed all mine barf and couldn't feed anything else. A friend feeds natural instinct and swears by it,it's all done for you and delivered frozen overnight free of charge. Website is www.naturalinstinct.com (I think) it makes for interesting reading if nothing else!
Darlings is a good raw food too and the company are very helpful ...
http://www.darlingsrealdogfood.com/
the only drawback is you need freezer space to store a months suppy of food.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2010, 06:47 AM
Thanks for the replies

I noticed the natural instincts food mostly has brewers yeast in it, which I have read isn't suitable for the breed I am interested in (Dali).

Does anyone give pups bones, or do you stick to chicken wings and minced things?
Luchi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-05-2010, 01:15 PM
My Pup is now 7 months and has been fed Barf since weaning.

On the second day I brought her home, she got a chicken bone stuck in her throat, and needed emergency veterinary care, (almost £400 worth)the bone had lodged across the back of her throat, and she needed to be put under a general anesthetic so that the bone could be cut in two and removed safely. The vet said she was really really lucky as had the bone punctured any of the surrounding tissue it could have spelled disaster.

This is very rare, but can happen.

Since then I have been VERY careful about which bones I feed her, and I stopped feeding her Chicken carcasss immediately. Instead she had large raw meaty bones,such as Lamb and other cuts of meat/mince/tripe with the bone ground up with it. (Prize Choice). As she is a large breed she also has supplement of MSM/Glucosamine/vit C and I give her 5ml of virgin Hemp oil per day, and her coat is lovely

As she has got older I will feed her meaty chicken thighs, so that any bone crunched and swallowed has a nice covering of meat and she has not problem with them. She was a dog that tended to wolf things down, although has improved now and does chew more.

I really would not feed anything but Barf, but do your research, don't feed bones that your pup can swallow whole, and always supervise.

Other things I give Luchi are 1-2 raw eggs per week with shell, tinned mackerel/Sardines in olive oil, rice, the odd bit of cooked or pureed vege such as Spinach/Peas,leftovers from our food.

She loves her food and has done very well on this diet.
Good Luck
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2010, 05:40 PM
I've fed pups from eight weeks up with chicken wings, tripe chunks, minced beef or steak chunks stuffed into kongs.

Since these were foster pups the raw was fed in addition to the food supplied for them.