Our sister sites
Our sister sites
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2010, 07:10 PM

Police dog bites boy 11

Police dog bites George Greenwood, 11, in Barkston Avenue, Chapelfields

A FATHER has claimed his 11-year-old son was left bruised, bleeding and terrified when he was bitten by a police dog only yards from his York home.

The German Shepherd was being used in a police chase on Barkston Avenue, Chapelfields, when it turned on George Greenwood.

The Westfield School pupil was playing outside the Costcutter shop with a group of friends when he was bitten. Police were pursuing a 14-year-old who was obstructing the road and officers released the dog to help in the chase.

George was not involved in the incident, but after the offender was caught, the youngster, who was standing near the dog handler, was bitten on his upper leg, leaving him bleeding and bruised.

A police spokesman apologised for the incident, which they claimed occurred because the youngster approached the dog handler.

George’s father Paul Greenwood, 42, said he was at home nearby on Bramham Avenue when he heard that his son had been bitten.

He said: “Suddenly there was a group of people outside my house screaming that George had been bitten by a dog. When I got there he was crying. The top of his leg was bleeding and bruised and he was scared and frightened.”

Mr Greenwood, who is now planning to lodge a formal complaint against the force, said the boy the police were chasing had been arrested and officers had him pressed up against the police van. He said they had put George in the back of a police car.

He said: “For this to happen is absolutely disgraceful. It’s appalling that a small child can be hurt by a police dog.”

The incident happened at about 5.30pm on Wednesday.

He said George had managed to go back to school yesterday and later went to get his wound checked by a doctor.

Witness Carla Smith said: “There was a big group of children in the street. They let a police dog out to try and catch someone they were chasing. Then I saw the dog bite a child.”

Another local resident, Tom Hartley, 24, said: “Suddenly it just bit this kid. There were about 15 children out in the street playing when it happened.”

A police spokesman said: “The incident happened following the arrest of a 14-year-old boy who had been obstructing traffic by placing road work signs and plastic barriers across Marston Crescent.

“The boy received only minor injuries, consisting of slight bruising and a graze to a leg.

“Immediately following the incident the officer’s first action was to make sure that the boy was safe and well.” He said the incident was unfortunate and said the officer apologised.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/8116...y__11/?ref=rss
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2010, 07:21 PM
QUOTE "George was not involved in the incident, but after the offender was caught, the youngster, who was standing near the dog handler, was bitten on his upper leg, leaving him bleeding and bruised.

A police spokesman apologised for the incident, which they claimed occurred because the youngster approached the dog handler" unquote

I think that's the important bit! If the boy had stood still where he was and not approached either the dog or it's handler he wouldn't have got bitten, and it seems to me it was only a warning bite anyway, bruises? That dog could have taken a whole chunk out of his leg if he had meant it!

No, I'm sorry, but I'm with the dog and it's handler on this one and hopefully, so will the judge and jury, because anyone with any sense who see's a police dog in action would just stay where they are and stand still! I know I would!
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Er its an 11 year old ! not all kids would know how to react in this sort of situation.

I'm surprised frankly that they needed to use a police dog to sort out a 14 year old - ridiculous !
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Oh, I thought he was 14, but that was the offender

I dunno though, when I think back to when I was 11, I think I had enough sense to have kept out of the way of a police chase of any kind wouldn't you? I'm sure a police dog would have frightened me to death anyway, knowing what they are capable of, so why would a child of 11 want to go up to the handler and get involved unless he was showing off to his mates? To MY mind, a sensible 11 year old would have stayed put with his mates and let them get on with it watching it from the sidelines, so I'm still with the policeman and his dog on this one!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2010, 08:06 PM
hmmm.... i think if the dog 'bit' him he would have more than a bruise and graze..sounds more like he fell over to me
unfortunate incident, but imo not really a biggie.
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Oh, I thought he was 14, but that was the offender

I dunno though, when I think back to when I was 11, I think I had enough sense to have kept out of the way of a police chase of any kind wouldn't you? I'm sure a police dog would have frightened me to death anyway, knowing what they are capable of, so why would a child of 11 want to go up to the handler and get involved unless he was showing off to his mates? To MY mind, a sensible 11 year old would have stayed put with his mates and let them get on with it watching it from the sidelines, so I'm still with the policeman and his dog on this one!
Maybe he doesn't know the first thing about dogs though, or how police dogs work.And maybe he was just "showing off", but surely that dosent justify him getting bitten.

That said.... I reckon there was probably more to it than reported. There may have been a GOOD reason why the dog went for the other boy.And yes, bruising thankfully seems to suggest he got off lightly considering what could have happened!
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hmmm.... i think if the dog 'bit' him he would have more than a bruise and graze..sounds more like he fell over to me
unfortunate incident, but imo not really a biggie.

Hmm yes, actually sounds a bit like the parents sniffing for compensation to me
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Without knowing exactly what happened this one is hard to judge! But if the dog was back onlead after the chase then the child must have approached them for the bite to even have happened! I know some kids wouldn't know how to behave in these situations but if a police dog is working then they can look quite vicious (they are meant to intimidate, aren't they?!) so why he would have approached is beyond me!

I would tend to side with the dog and handler but, as greyhoundk says, I'm not entirely sure it would be appropriate to set the dog on a 14 year old in the first place... Then again, we don't know the full story!

S xoxox
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2010, 08:22 PM
No, maybe he doesn't know what these dogs are capable of, but 11 years old nowadays is going on 19 from what I hear and see, so either he's daft, or he's a gobby little show-off, and this might have taught him a lesson. Picture the scenario, you're standing outside a shop with a group of mates, and there's a right old caffuffle going on up the road or nearby, with lots of police, an older boy being pinned up against a car and a police dog going manic, now in all honestly, would you leave the security of your crowd of mates, or run over to stick your nose in and give the policeman a hard time when they're doing their job? I know what I would have done even at 11 years old! I don't have kids, but I do know how my 3 nephews would have reacted when they were 11, and I've also watched loads of those police action programmes, and who do they get the most grief from especially on estates???

Police dogs have immunity, they are allowed (within reason of course!) to do what they are trained to do, our job is to keep out of their way and let them get on with it, and I say again, that 11 year old must be pretty thick/daft/gobby to have stuck his nose in where he had no business to be? Otherwise, why was he there, right by the officer and the dog, he had no right or reason to be there, he should have gone in the opposite direction imo.

No, I have no sympathy with this kid, I can see a bigger picture, and I hope to God so does the court!

That dog could have taken his leg off if he had wanted to, but a bruise???? The father's obviously well clued up too, he's got in on the act hasn't he, along with his tears, oh perleeeeease!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Handler error.

The dog was probably completely psyched up from the chase and the handler should have been aware of his heightened state and made sure that no-one came near the dog.

But I don't think this should be an excuse to have a go at police dogs and their handlers. All sorts of accidents happen..the child wasn't seriously hurt. I would like to see the police work with the child though to make sure that it doesn't give him an unreasonable fear of dogs but that he does learn to respect them.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »