Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lucy-h
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-04-2010, 07:23 AM

Diagnosed with IBD but no extra help!

Boris was diagnosed with IBD before Christmas after weeks of diarrhoea and mucus poo and vomiting (I was told this was colitis). The vet told me on the phone (i think they did some tests and were phoning with the results) that he thinks Boris might have IBD and they wanted to put him on Hills prescription diet because it is hypo-allergenic.
I told the vet that Boris had been fed Burns diet since he was 10wks old and Burns is hypo-allergenic so I didn't want to swap.
Since then, I've had to try and manage his IBD by going on the advice of the nutritionist at Burns and also by eliminating anything that I think may give him the runs.
Boris is now on burns pork & potato because after trying lamb & maize he was ill almost every other day.
The pork and potato has firmed up his poos but as the nutritionist said not to fill him up with dry food i've also been giving him boiled potato and maybe some tuna.
Every now and again he'll still bring up all his dinner (mainly undigested) a few hours later, but his poos will still be normal.
My husband wanted to try him on nature diet so we've been giving him half burns (100g) and half nature diet sensitive - salmon veg rice (390g as about 900g was recommend on the website). For the last two days that he's been on this diet he's been feeling a bit better and his poos have been fine.
However, last night my husband said he vomited again and this morning he was vomiting bright white bile.
So, if he was feeling better, and his poos were fine do I keep him on this diet? Also, is there anything else i can do for him to make him feel better he must be in pain as he shakes a lot and his ears are stuck to his head and he just want cuddles when he's ill. Shoudl the vet be doing anything else?
A different vet recommended windeze (simeticone) so i've been giving him that every now and again. But I dont think trapped wind is the problem and I can hear his belly rumbling and gurgling and making squeaky sounds?
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-04-2010, 08:06 AM
Our Chessapeake nearly died of this, when he has an episode he is given Sulfasalazine, tablets from the vet and Pro Kolin paste. If it is a severe episode he also has Trimcare tablets.
The food you choose is of vital importance and once you have it settled which it actually sounds as if you have, stick to it rigidly.
He will still have episodes but it may not be linked to the food, a small morsel picked up out on a walk or around the house could trigger an episode

http://www.peteducation.com/article....2+2090&aid=305
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-04-2010, 08:23 AM

At this point we were discussing him being PTS

This our beautiful boy now.
He still has episodes but we recognize the signs and give the drugs listed above to stop it escalating
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by lucy-h View Post
Boris was diagnosed with IBD before Christmas after weeks of diarrhoea and mucus poo and vomiting (I was told this was colitis). The vet told me on the phone (i think they did some tests and were phoning with the results) that he thinks Boris might have IBD and they wanted to put him on Hills prescription diet because it is hypo-allergenic.
I told the vet that Boris had been fed Burns diet since he was 10wks old and Burns is hypo-allergenic so I didn't want to swap.
Since then, I've had to try and manage his IBD by going on the advice of the nutritionist at Burns and also by eliminating anything that I think may give him the runs.
Boris is now on burns pork & potato because after trying lamb & maize he was ill almost every other day.
The pork and potato has firmed up his poos but as the nutritionist said not to fill him up with dry food i've also been giving him boiled potato and maybe some tuna.
Every now and again he'll still bring up all his dinner (mainly undigested) a few hours later, but his poos will still be normal.
My husband wanted to try him on nature diet so we've been giving him half burns (100g) and half nature diet sensitive - salmon veg rice (390g as about 900g was recommend on the website). For the last two days that he's been on this diet he's been feeling a bit better and his poos have been fine.
However, last night my husband said he vomited again and this morning he was vomiting bright white bile.
So, if he was feeling better, and his poos were fine do I keep him on this diet? Also, is there anything else i can do for him to make him feel better he must be in pain as he shakes a lot and his ears are stuck to his head and he just want cuddles when he's ill. Shoudl the vet be doing anything else?
A different vet recommended windeze (simeticone) so i've been giving him that every now and again. But I dont think trapped wind is the problem and I can hear his belly rumbling and gurgling and making squeaky sounds?
Hi Lucy how old is Boris now? How many meals is he on.

If the potato and tuna agrees with his tummy and you are considering a complete food Wafcol Salmon and potatoes or Fish4 dogs salmon contain very few additives and seem to work well for dogs with IBD.They doesn't soak very well but I would still moisten with hot water and leave to soak for ten minutes before feeding.

Better still seems to be a raw diet or a prepared raw diet like 'Darlings' Lamb which is made up freshly for you and sent in a months supply to freeze. Dogs fed raw don't seem to be troubed with IBD.

If your dog is vomiting bile in the morning it may be because he has a problem when his tummy is empty for a long time and produces excess bile, my dog has this problem and I have to give her something to eat last thing at night or her tummy makes horrendous noises and she vomits in the early morning.
lucy-h
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Boris is 2yrs and 4 months old now. He was on 2 meals a day but on the advice of the nutritionist he's now on 3 meals a day (little and often she said).

I've been wondering about this raw diet but it's a bit scary - how do I know how much to feed him? what if he chokes on a bone? etc..

The boiled potato and burns was working fine for him but i could never cook enough and i didn't know how much to give him and he was always hungry. at least with the nature diet i know roughly how much to give him as per the recommendations.

He doesn't normally bring up white bile in the mornings, its normally yellowish and mucus-y but even that is not often.
I've now spoken to my hubby and he said the vomit looked like it was all naturediet yesterday so he obviously digested the burns.

At least he's eating though! When he's really bad he wont eat at all.