Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2010, 11:28 PM

Wafcol

Jake was at the vets today and i was told that he needs to be put on wafcol or 'some other one like it' coz of his suspected allergy so we can find out what he is allergic to, if it is to a food.

i was just wondering if anyone knows what it is like? im worried about him only being allowed that to eat for 6 weeks! it will be sooo boring for him! also, what other foods are similar to wafcol that could come under the 'some other one like it'?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-04-2010, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Jake was at the vets today and i was told that he needs to be put on wafcol or 'some other one like it' coz of his suspected allergy so we can find out what he is allergic to, if it is to a food.

i was just wondering if anyone knows what it is like? im worried about him only being allowed that to eat for 6 weeks! it will be sooo boring for him! also, what other foods are similar to wafcol that could come under the 'some other one like it'?
Hi Lauren Wafcol salmon and potato is good and has very few additives, it is quite similar to Fish4dogs salmon and potato. The Wafcol website has a list of suppliers or you can buy is on line. I don't feed a lot of kibble preferring to feed fresh food but it is one of the foods I use.

It is important that you don't give treats containing other ingredients when feeding an exclusion diet, you can use part of the daily allowance of kibble instead .
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2010, 06:49 AM
Hey Lauren,
I know you may feel mean but seriously, they dogs don't mind it, as you know Scratch only gets Kangaroo meat and potato, you would think he would look at me and think "If I eat one more meal of this I will go on a hunger strike" but nope, he eats it with gusto every time.
He gets no treats, and he gets nothing else. Do I feel mean from time to time........yes, do I think his life is better from do this...........yes, so my rational is that it is for his own benefit not mine, he is thriving and eats it happily.
Jake will be fine, remember how sore he was when his ears and eyes were inflamed, you are doing the right thing by starting a process of elimination of allergy trying to stop that from happening and that is the best thing for Jake.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2010, 06:55 AM
When Deacon went on his food trial he was on Hills Ultra z/d.. the low allergen one, it smelt disgusting!! I had the dry and the tinned and Deacon had just that, nothing else, it was hard as I had the other dogs, but we perservered for 8 weeks... Deacon ate it every meal too. It is worth it, to make sure they have no food allergies...
Wafcol is a good food, there is also the Fish4Dogs and my lot have Symply... hope you can get Jake sorted!!
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2010, 07:03 AM
i used th weight reduction Wafcol years ago for my old girl I think it's fine,

As for the unvaried diet it's for his own good so don't beat yourself up
leopard_print
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Wafcol is a decent food and being salmon and potato it should be tasty for him! Just keep telling yourself you are doing good in the long term everytime you feel guilty for being 'boring' with his food!!

If you think he will get bored try feeding him in different ways so the meal times become interesting, put some in kongs or hide some around the house? just create various games with his food.
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2010, 12:59 PM
my 2 loved this food when they were on it. It's really good for allergies xxx
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Monty my german shepherd was 'adopted' by us when he was 5(ish) and we were told he has a dodgy tummy (which was so oftem proved to be correct (urgh)). We fed him Wafcol everyday for the rest of his lovely long life (another 9 years) and he lapped it up everyday. It's not cruel - just necessary - and kind
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Its an excellent food and marvellous for dogs with dietry issues or allergies. I'd give it 10/10 any day. Just give him part of his daily allowance as treats
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2010, 11:54 PM
thanks everyone, he will be starting his new diet on saturday and im feeling better about giving him this food now. i know its the best thing for him, and we need to find out whats causing his skin problems. i just worry that he will find it boring so wont eat when on it... im also not allowed to add anything to the food (he usually gets a half a tin added in to make it easier to eat, i have tried water but he doesnt like that) so not sure how he will take to it... i guess its just something we will need to work though, it will be tough (for both of us) but its something we have to do. i just hope he likes it...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >