Our sister sites
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2010, 11:07 AM

My Monkey Baby

Did anyone watch it?

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/my-monkey-baby

I found it quite horrific really. The part when the couple went to buy their new 'baby'. Baby was really young, taken away from its mum at about 10 days old. The couple went to see the mum (caged) and she was really distraught to see her baby with these 'humans'. She was reaching out the cage trying to get at her baby
tara8t8
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2010, 11:13 AM
I watched this quite some time ago, found it very disturbing indeed! I understand having an emotional attachment with a pet, but monkeys are not domesticated, unlike dogs and cats that have been for thousands of years!

Despite that, i was glued to the programme, very interesting to say the least!!
Luckypirate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Watched this the other day...quite frankly it creeped me out a bit. It just seemed wrong, monkeys aren't babies! If you want a baby then adopt or something but getting a wild animal is not the answer.
If babying dogs can cause behavior problems, imagine what it could do for one of them =/
I also had a slight issue with the fact that the monkeys live to be around 50 in captivity and most of the people who seemed to be adopting them were older parents with 'empty nest' syndrome. So what happens to the monkeys when they're gone or can't take care of them?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2010, 12:20 PM
I watched this when it was on a couple of months ago.

VERY strange people. Especially the redneck couple dressing their monkey up in clothes and putting makeup on the poor thing. Very strange (and sad) indeed.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2010, 01:24 PM
That's just disturbing
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2010, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I watched this when it was on a couple of months ago.

VERY strange people. Especially the redneck couple dressing their monkey up in clothes and putting makeup on the poor thing. Very strange (and sad) indeed.
I didn't like how they put make up on the monkey either.

But at least they had put money aside for when they die for monkey to be cared for.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2010, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
That's just disturbing
If you watched the programme you would probably of been horrified.
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2010, 11:51 PM
I think I remember watching a programme like this a while back, is it the same one where a youngish couple get a baby monkey and they sneek it into a hotel room for the night on the journey home?

I thought at the time of watching it, it was really weird, and there should be laws in place stopping people owning monkeys as pets.

But afterall, this is in America, the same place that in certain states you can go buy a white tiger and keep it in a cage in your garden ( thats after you've taken it to be mutilated and had half it's paws cut off in the pretence of declawing)...
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2010, 07:00 PM
I think I watched that when it was on before.

I found it quite disturbing.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-03-2010, 07:23 PM
I watched it before too with my daughter, who has plans to become some sort of monkey keeper. After seeing the mum that was so distressed at losing her baby she has decided that when I get older and can't get up the stairs so well she will move me downstairs and have my bedroom for the whole monkey family so noone gets left behind!