Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 01:03 PM

Sulking Men, Dogs and Children

My day out at Crufts with Kim had been booked weeks in advance, Clive was happy that Kim was staying overnight with us and that he would be looking after Leon, including walkies and meals on Sunday. I did the morning walk and breakfast and planned to do teatime walk and evening meal for him.

Kim bided her time in asking Herbie and he was fine about it, he even asked her why he hadn't asked as soon as I called. It meant he had to look after her sons, 16 and 11, and the three setter boys

For the week before Crufts Clive kept tormenting me saying he hoped it would be ok if he went out for all of Sunday as he wanted to spend time with his friends...then I stopped fretting and told him it was fine as I would hire a dog sitter...he soon changed his tune when he thought he would have to pay out some money Then, when kim arrived he told her dirty jokes...jokes he doesn't tell me because I don't usually understand them , she took it all in good faith and had a lot of banter with him, we had a really good Saturday evening with some wine and pizza.

On Sunday we left at 7.15 am, Clive was still in bed but Leon had been walked and had his breakfast and was upside down on the sofa...Clive left the bedroom door open so he could hear if he was moaning or anything. I rang Clive at lunchtime to check if everything was ok and he said that Leon had been whinging the whole time we had been gone, he had dragged him up the road three times to see if he needed to go to the toilet, he said that Leon was acting like a spoiled brat and didn't want to go out with him, he didn't even take his teddy with him which is unheard of I have to admit that I did blame Clive and said that I expect he wasn't talking to him nicely like I do, etc., I said we would leave immediately if it was that much of a problem and he said "oh no, don't spoil your day, he did go to the toilet eventually and he is asleep now"

During Saturday evening and all day Sunday, even when we had just set off, Kims mobile was going constantly...firstly it was Herbie wanting to know what to feed everyone, then he said the furry boys wouldn't eat their tea and seemed subdued. The her eldest son texted her to say have a good day tomorrow, then he texted her again to ask why she hadn't replied We were trying to have a chat and a drink whilst this was going on..she hadn't told the kids where she was going on Sunday as they would have wanted to come too, and we just wanted a girls day out enjoying something we're both interested in.

We got home about 5.30 and Leon was so pleased to see us, Kim stopped for a cuppa and then left so Clive and I took Leon out. He was as happy as larry and Clive said that he feels sad that Leon doesn't love him as much as he loves me and that he obviously wasn't happy being left with him in charge. The difference is that I have all the time in the world for Leon, if he wants something then I know, even if its just a hug...Clive is too busy with other things to even notice and its not his thing to talk baby talk to dogs He said he is going to persevere and spend some time alone with Leon, just to get that bond how he wants it...I'm pleased about that but I also know that he wouldn't be best pleased if I suggested another girls day out and him in charge of the house and Leon.

I've just heard from Kim, we didn't talk yesterday because of my bad throat but she told me she really got the cold shoulder when she got home, they knew she was on her way as they had been ringing her the whole time yet they were finishing tea when she got back and there was nothing done for her, when she questioned Herbie he more or less told her it was her fault for going out and leaving them to fend for themselves She did, however, get a wonderful welcome home from the setter boys

She said that she gets the impression that hubby and sons really thought she shouldn't have left them for 17 hours to fend for themselves...Herbie often works abroad so she has to do everything concerned with running the house and looking after her sons and the dogs, but they can't do it for a day or so, once in a blue moon.

Maybe it's just us but we both feel that, as much as we enjoyed our day out, we will have to bide our time asking if we could do it again some time soon
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 01:08 PM
Im lucky I guess I would never have to beg to get to a dog show....Dougies quite grown up that way, but can be childish in other ways now and then lol

just get the men in your lives told how its going to be!! they are not our keepers
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Glad you both had a great time. I think you actually should do it more often, sounds as if your OHs need more pracice to get used to dealing with such situations
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by loupoppins View Post
Glad you both had a great time. I think you actually should do it more often, sounds as if your OHs need more pracice to get used to dealing with such situations
Dito, what she said, go more often....
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 01:17 PM
Well I don't think Clive managed too badly considering that he is still a relatively new 'doggy dad'. And I suspect that having Leon whining for you wasn't easy. But as he's suggested that he needs more bonding time with Leon, you should really take him up on that - I think you would all benefit from it

I really feel sorry for your friend though and I think she should get away more often so that it isn't such a big deal when she does
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Im lucky I guess I would never have to beg to get to a dog show....Dougies quite grown up that way, but can be childish in other ways now and then lol

just get the men in your lives told how its going to be!! they are not our keepers
Originally Posted by loupoppins View Post
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Well I don't think Clive managed too badly considering that he is still a relatively new 'doggy dad'. And I suspect that having Leon whining for you wasn't easy. But as he's suggested that he needs more bonding time with Leon, you should really take him up on that - I think you would all benefit from it

I really feel sorry for your friend though and I think she should get away more often so that it isn't such a big deal when she does
Thanks all If I didn't have to worry about Leon then I would probably do a lot more but he hates to be left and I feel that its wrong to put upon Clive, as Fiona mentioned, he has come such a long way since we moved in that I don't want to push my luck in that respect. I can go anywhere whenever I want to but I am limited obviously because of Leon..and I hate to make him unhappy too, if he feels insecure being left with Clive then it will have an effect on his health in the long run. Mind you, I do think Clive was putting it on a bit, he and Leon get on so well when I'm here that I can't believe he was as whingy as he decribed...not my perfect little man

I do feel sorry for Kim, she never really goes anywhere and it wasn't as if it was a spur of the moment thing, Herbie had plenty of time to get used to the idea and sort out meals etc., they do have a fridge and a freezer that was choc-a-bloc by all accounts Thank goodness her setter babies still love her
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Then you have to go out more, not less. So it`s the norm for you to go out and do your thing, not the exception.
Think of it as your way of encouraging their Personal Development!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-03-2010, 03:30 PM
I am glad Kim and yourself had a great day out.

Boot is on the other foot in this house, Gorden keeps telling me too have some time away on my own with a Friend or just away to do what I want too do at some point particularly as he went away last year for 3 days on his own to climb Snowdon then had a couple of days away with the big boys and the little ones camping.

Because I do most things for Ollie I do not trust anyone else I know deep in my heart Gorden is capable and they would be fine together and Ollie would soon settle without me, although Gorden does say if I pop to the shops for an hour or two he is unsettled till I get back.

I just feel I can not leave them well Ollie I could leave Gorden on his own for a few days he would cope perfectly well.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
We got home about 5.30 and Leon was so pleased to see us, Kim stopped for a cuppa and then left so Clive and I took Leon out. He was as happy as larry and Clive said that he feels sad that Leon doesn't love him as much as he loves me and that he obviously wasn't happy being left with him in charge. The difference is that I have all the time in the world for Leon, if he wants something then I know, even if its just a hug...Clive is too busy with other things to even notice and its not his thing to talk baby talk to dogs He said he is going to persevere and spend some time alone with Leon, just to get that bond how he wants it...I'm pleased about that but I also know that he wouldn't be best pleased if I suggested another girls day out and him in charge of the house and Leon.
I wouldn't worry too much about it! My OH has been around since both boys were puppies and they still love me 'better' than him!

If I'm not in they will mooch around, and whine and take ages eating their tea. They won't settle and keep wanting to go outside and sit at the gate.

I would take this as an opportunity to let Clive and Leon 'bond' and get yourself out on more girly days out!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Exactly - my OH moaned at first when I started showing as there was a lot of overnight stays etc. but it's all character building and he now has a better bond with the children because of it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >