Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2010, 03:18 PM

Best weight gain food for Grey with sensitive stomach

Holly, our adopted ex-racing greyhound has been with us for 3 months now. She was too thin when we got her and also vomited quite a lot after eating. One day she vomited fresh blood so we took her to the vet straight away. He gave her some cimetidine tabs and now that's better. He advised sensitive stomach Hills diet which we bought for her and she hasn't been sick for a month now thank goodness. We feed her 3 times a day.He said if she doesn't put on weight soon that she should have investigations for malabsorbtion. Her coat is now better and she's full of life apart from the odd twinge due to an untreated racing injury for which I have her on glucosamine.
What I'd like to know is are there any cheaper, good sensitive stomach foods that will put weight on her? She needs to gain about 3 kgs.
I don't begrudge her anything she needs.....it's just that Hills is so very expensive AND I have 4 other furry friends to feed!!
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2010, 10:37 PM
Have you tried tripe?
The uncooked green stuff, it is really good for help putting on weight and for sensitive tums. I know it stinks but dogs love it.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2010, 10:48 PM
I agree - if not already tried then raw tripe is brilliant for putting on wait, its also a natural diet so has to be good for them!
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-03-2010, 03:21 AM
Many brands offer sensitive stomach formulas. If she is doing OK on the Hills, and it one of their lamb formulas, I would look for another lamb based food. I have heard many good reports of Pro Plan sensitive stomach, but it may be chicken based.

Usually if a dog will eat it, the best thing to build weight is more of the regular kibble as long as the dog will eat it. That way you know the dog is getting a good balanced diet. Feed it a bunch of high fat food and you can damage the pancreas before you see any problems.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2010, 07:59 AM
An old friend that had greys, used to give them pasta with their food if they needed building up. and i would imagine it would be ok for a sensitive stomach.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-03-2010, 08:50 AM
Hi Zoe I agree with those who mention tripe. It has always been regarded as a food tolerated by sensitive stomachs.

I would steer clear of the complete foods full of additives and preservatives which are designed to give the food a long shelf life rather than to benefit the dog.

Many including my vet recommend tinned Chappie for sensitive stomachs but I have not used it myself.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2010, 08:56 AM
I would get a dry food and mix in a bit of tinned Chappie or Butchers tripe (you can get in tescos). Mine have sensitive tums and always been good on this.
You dont have to get the most expensive dry food either! I would recommend going to either a large pet shop or country store and reading the ingredients...If you get a food without additives, and not too high a maize content it should be fine. Chappie also do a dry food which is recommended by vets
*SJ*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-03-2010, 09:12 AM
Arden Grange - the lamb and rice one is good. Cheapest place I've found to buy it from is www.vetuk.co.uk I mix this with a small amount of Naturediet as well although they would happily eat it without. The reason I'm suggesting it is that all my dogs put weight on easily on this food and I had to cut it down to stop them becoming too lardy!
It also already has glucosamine in it.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Hi - this may not be a permanent condition. When I got Raz he could only tolerate fish. Anything else caused dreadful tummy problems. Now he`s settled, he eats everything with no problems. It was sheer stress causing the digestive problems.
I would try small amounts of tripe etc. first to see if there is a reaction.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2010, 12:39 PM
I have my grey and and lurcher on CSJ lamb and rice or salmon and rice as its gluten free and tinned Chappie as they both have sensitive stomachs and my lurcher need to put on weight. I have only had her 6/7 weeks and she has put on weight already. As a rough guide you should be able to see the last two ribs.

I also give them tinned sardines, minced beef and scrambled eggs sometimes.

Can we see some pics please ?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >