View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 08:49 AM

Alternative to a bandage for a broken toe...

The bandages on Maggies foot keep slipping down, she has been at the vet once having it redone, this morning the new one has slipped down, resulting with a huge loose bit under her foot again...Now the darn thing has come off...Is there another way to strap up her toe?????She is not pulling it off.....
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 08:57 AM
Was it done with a soft badage then vetwrap over the top?
If so its the soft part thatll make it slip, so I would put that around the toe itself and halfway up the leg, then vetwrap around but go higher than the soft bandage to stop slipping. Blue had his right to top of hock (but not over joint) as he has such silky slidy fur!!

ps you can buy gamgee and vetwrap from any country store or horsey shop if you need something quickly today while vets are closed x
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 09:00 AM
Its actually come off the shape of her toe and legs, so will have to get the vet to redo it tomorrow......she thinks its a toy and is running around with it in her mouth
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
Was it done with a soft badage then vetwrap over the top?
If so its the soft part thatll make it slip, so I would put that around the toe itself and halfway up the leg, then vetwrap around but go higher than the soft bandage to stop slipping. Blue had his right to top of hock (but not over joint) as he has such silky slidy fur!!

ps you can buy gamgee and vetwrap from any country store or horsey shop if you need something quickly today while vets are closed x
They did wrap it quite up to her hock, using cotton wool, bandage and two lot of that vetwrap over the top....
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-02-2010, 09:59 AM
Hi Moli I had the same problem when Millie had a histiocytoma removed from her toe. The vet gave me some blue Co- Flex bandage which was sticks to itself and I put it on on top of a gauze dressing and this stayed on.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Moli I had the same problem when Millie had a histiocytoma removed from her toe. The vet gave me some blue Co- Flex bandage which was sticks to itself and I put it on on top of a gauze dressing and this stayed on.
I used that blue wrapping that sticks to itself as well when my dog cut his paw. It worked really well & didn't come off even on long walks & going through puddles. I got it from Tesco but i'm sure most chemists would sell it too.
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Thats what she had on, with cotton wool and a bandage underneath it.....and its an anti chew one, but it just seems to slip down her leg.....
Is there a way they could maybe just bind the foot without putting it right up her leg, and would it work???
Meg
Supervisor

21-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by Moli View Post
Thats what she had on, with cotton wool and a bandage underneath it.....and its an anti chew one, but it just seems to slip down her leg.....
Is there a way they could maybe just bind the foot without putting it right up her leg, and would it work???
Hi Moli if there isn't a wound and you are just using a bandage to support an area like a toe (and I would guess as with human digits you are strapping the toes together to help the broken one to to stay rigid and to add protection while it heals ) I would have thought you wouldn't need a lot of other stuff under the Co Flex bandage just a bit of padding on the toe, putting a lot of other things underneath may prevent the bandage from sticking to itself . The bandage needs to go a way up the leg to give it stability.
I would start by putting bandage back to front over the toes with the end of the bandage pointing up the front of the leg then start winding around the foot quite tightly working my way a little way up the leg.

..I have just found a picture which describes what I have just written

Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Thanks Mini, will try that for today, at least she will have a bit of support till I ltake her back to the vets tomorrow....
Meg
Supervisor

21-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by Moli View Post
Thanks Mini, will try that for today, at least she will have a bit of support till I ltake her back to the vets tomorrow....
Poor little Maggie , it is so difficult when puppies get injuries isn't it . I hope she is better soon
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >