Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-02-2010, 11:43 AM

A sad thread but please be aware

I have just lost my best friend aged 43 to a nasty manmade disease called mesothelioma. please google it and all be aware of it.
it took the dr nearly 6 months to diagnose her and luckily she found a surgeon who did a fantastic op on her ,she passed the 6 months they gave her and wa doing well but then it appeared in her stomach and liver and went downhill from there.

she never worked with asbestos nor did her family she was just unlucky and this fibre must have been in the air amybe just walking past a building that had it in and bang 20 odd years later shes dead!
it is a very nasty diesase to die from im so pleased that she died peacefully in her sleep before she got to the last stage .

my mission along with her husband and kids is to make people aware of this disease, hers started off with a cough but because she didnt have a history of anyone working with this stuff in her family and cos she was female and her age it took along time to diagnose BUT its always terminal.

it has been known for teacher to get it just by putting drawing pins into walls at the school that have asbestos and they arnt aware of .

i dont want to scaremonger but just to make people aware
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-02-2010, 12:13 PM
I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. I lost an uncle to it a few years back and although he had worked in the building trade it is a horrible horrible disease.

My sympathies to you and your friends family.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-02-2010, 01:42 PM
I too am so terribly sorry for your loss.

This is worrying me as our utility as an asbestos roof (so we were told by our builder) and we get a white powder residue on the boxes that sit near the roof.

Where do we go for advice, do you know?
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Hi,

So sorry for your loss. My BIL died from it (end stage) 7 weeks before I got married. It's a horrendous disease and what's worse is that as early as the first part of the 20th Century, we knew it was dangerous.

For those with an asbestos roof, if you contact your local authority, they can advise you on how to go about/who to contact in order to safely remove the asbestos.

Laura xx
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
Hi,

So sorry for your loss. My BIL died from it (end stage) 7 weeks before I got married. It's a horrendous disease and what's worse is that as early as the first part of the 20th Century, we knew it was dangerous.

For those with an asbestos roof, if you contact your local authority, they can advise you on how to go about/who to contact in order to safely remove the asbestos.

Laura xx

Thanks im going to first thing on monday, not sure how we will replace it though
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-02-2010, 07:47 PM
agree get on to your la your builder should have suggested that straight away!
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by angied View Post
agree get on to your la your builder should have suggested that straight away!
He just told us to tell anyone that did remove it in the future that it is asbestos, he didnt seem to think it was a problem as it was. The bit that concerns me is the dust as i beleive this is the problem.