Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2010, 12:24 PM

American Bulldog male 10months

I was asked to go and see a family with two dogs.

Basically... the dogs were bought as puppies by someone who decided he didn't want them, he left them tied up in an upturned dustbin behind a kebab shop and the lady I went to see had been and collected them when she was made aware of them.

They were just 7 weeks and 9.5 weeks old.

The 7 week old was an American Bulldog who is now 10 months.

Both dogs have become too much for her to handle and she really has tried but home circumstances make it impossible. She has a very poorly child and she's struggling that much that it's now putting a strain on the family.

She's devastated but has come to the conclusion that it's best to find both dogs somewhere more experienced who can give the dogs what they need while they're still lovely dogs.

They are quite destructive and she just can't cope. The AB jumps the fence and she is too small to walk him (even with help of non-pull products).

She's tried very hard and I honestly can say I don't blame her in any way for her decision. She got the dogs out of a terrible, terrible plight and now just needs someone who can take them the rest of the way.

So I've asked her to get the AB neutered and I'll help in any way I can to get him a new home with someone more experienced with large dogs.

If you know of anyone who could take on this dog who needs bundaries putting in place, a strong owner and lots of stimulation, please get in touch.

Thanks.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Hi Lottie

I remember you posting about these. I can't help with rehoming, but you say she wants to rehome both dogs? did she consider rehoming just the AB and keeping the other one? as they are so close in age, they are going to have a sibling type relationship that is going to make everything worse. Removing one from the picture could potentially change the behaviour of the remaining dog quite dramatically (with training in addition of course).
Kdpeters80
New Member!
Male 

15-02-2010, 02:49 PM
Try posting some pictures of the AB on bandog banter or workingbandogs.com, there are a lot of Bully breed lovers on those sites, and most of the members are dog trainers. Hope this helps.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2010, 05:32 PM
hi lottie, get in contact with bullies in need ( or get the owner to - and they may have people interested) sadly like staffies they are hard to rehome as people want them for the wrong reason and also once they are a handful its more to train them not to be !!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Thanks guys for the links - I don't know any of the bullies organisations so thanks for the info!

To be honest, I think she needs to just get them both into new homes... you know I don't encourage giving up on dogs and I'm sure the behaviour could improve when they're split but in reality, I don't think she can cope with even one

She just has too much on her plate and she's finally come to terms with having to lose them so I don't want to drag it all back up again.

Thanks again for the info!