View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JaniceH
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-02-2010, 05:58 PM

Recommend a decent floor cleaner/disinfectant?

You know how if you clean the dog area outside with jeyes fluid it smells 'clean'. Im searching for a decent hard floor cleaner for my kitchen/dining room which is slate tiles/vinyl tiles that actually does the job too (although perhaps doesnt smell quite so strong!).

My pup is 12 weeks old and so we still have the odd widdle on the floor, and I just want to make sure that its clean and getting rid of that 'doggy smell' lingering about. (My house is rented and I live in fear of people/landlord walking in and saying my house stinks of wet muddy dog ). My other dog is longer coated and quite often brings in mud etc.

Ive tried lots of supermarket brands and Im pretty sure there is something in there that doesnt really remove the wee completely as he will go and wee in the same spot again. Ive tried bio washing powder and it makes the floor slippery and Ive also tried that Simple Solutions from PAH (too expensive). I bought some orange smelling cleaner from Mistral however Im not that impressed so far as it seems to make the water bead on the surface of the tiles . I dont want to use bleach.

Anyone got any good recommendations.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2010, 06:02 PM
hi
i always use biological washingpowder, 10% solution in cold water,it breaks down the enzymes in the urine and cleans the area rather than just masking the smell.
JaniceH
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hi
i always use biological washingpowder, 10% solution in cold water,it breaks down the enzymes in the urine and cleans the area rather than just masking the smell.
Ive tried that several times though and it just seems to make my floor slippery and feel slimy like it has left a residue
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2010, 06:33 PM
I use plain old Anti-bax on mine and wipe it clean with kitchen towels. No reside and gets rid of any germs/bacteria straight away.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2010, 06:36 PM
I use a steam mop. It doesn`t need any detergent as you`re cleaning with scalding water and it dries immediately. Best thing I ever bought!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I use a steam mop. It doesn`t need any detergent as you`re cleaning with scalding water and it dries immediately. Best thing I ever bought!
me too - I got a steam cleaner for Xmas (I did ask for it!) and it's the best thing I ever got. I use it on laminate floor, tiled floor, rugs, carpet, even did the leather sofas with it (mine comes apart to use as a hand held) and no detergents used at all. It also dries very quickly with no smears which is great!
honeytone
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-02-2010, 08:25 PM
I use Zoflora. It comes in a really small bottle, but it is very concentrated, so a little goes a long way. It comes in lots of lovely fresh fragrances too, not just awful pine.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2010, 12:31 PM
at the kennels i work at we use safe4 disinfectant. we also use it in all the animal areas at college too. and we got told its one of the best to use
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Hi,

I use what the vets use in their consulting rooms. I can't remember what it's called (I'm at my Mom's at the moment so I'll check on the name) but it works a treat.

I've also used the same stuff that they used in operating theatres (I have a friend who works in a hospital). It does smell quite strong even when diluted but it takes away all the smells, residues and anythign else left behind and also kills the germs.

I've also used Zoflora before adn it works very well - although if you don't dilute it enough it can be overpowering. The "Flower Shop" one is far too strong IMO but it's down to personal choice with the fragrances obviously.

Laura xx
JaniceH
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
Hi,

I use what the vets use in their consulting rooms. I can't remember what it's called (I'm at my Mom's at the moment so I'll check on the name) but it works a treat.

I've also used the same stuff that they used in operating theatres (I have a friend who works in a hospital). It does smell quite strong even when diluted but it takes away all the smells, residues and anythign else left behind and also kills the germs.

Laura xx
Is it possible to find out the names of these please I will also look at the safe4 one as well. Cant get hold of Zoflora easily for some reason, neither my local supermarkets stock it.

Thankyou for all your help so far.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >