View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mybabyboypubs
New Member!
Female 

09-02-2010, 06:32 PM

Can anyone suggest the best non-pull harness?

I'm sorry if this has been posted before but i am new to Dogsey and could really do with some help with this.Can anyone recommend the best non-pull harness? I have two rough coated lurchers-both of whom want to walk a lot faster than i do when out on the lead! I have tried a couple of different ones-not sure whether i can mention brand names or not on here? and neither have worked.I would just love to be able to walk them without pulling-it would make our walks so much easier and a lot more fun.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 06:34 PM
I like the Sens-ible harness or the Premier easy walk ones - I find them great to stop pulling dogs.

.....but nothing beats a good bit of training
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 07:15 PM
I used the Halti harness for a while but Bo my Slovak found it uncomfortable (it is quite thin nylon). So I switched to using a SnuggleSafe fleece harness which isn't technically a no pull harness, but it does have a front and a back clip. I attach a double ended lead to both and she generally walks ok on this (but certainly not perfectly! ).
Dieseldaft
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-02-2010, 07:35 PM
My Diesel pulled like a steam train despite trying lots of training to get him out of it.

I bought him a Gentle Leader harness and what a difference!! I can literally walk him holding the lead by my pinky! He doesn't pull at all and stays close to my side. It did take him a bit of getting used to but now he has accepted it as part of 'walkies'

Tbh I was just sick of getting pulled all over the place, especially in the slippy icy weather. I would highly recommend it - has made our walks muck easier
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2010, 09:10 AM
Nothing beats good training to ensure a dog walks nicely on a loose lead! It is definitely worth putting the time & effort in to stop the lead pulling as it makes the walks so much more enjoyable. But I appreciate it is difficult if you've got 2 or more dogs that pull as you can only train one at a time.

One of the best ways I've used to stop lead pulling is to train walking closely by my side round the house & garden off lead. This breaks the very strong association some dogs have between attaching a lead & the huge excitement (& the rush of adrenalin!) of going for a walk. Once the adrenalin rush has started & the dog is all keyed up about going for a walk, it's very hard to get them to calm down & listen to you for training purposes. So it's much easier to do the training in a way that is not at all associated with walkies!

A clicker works wonders for this sort of training & once you've got the dog following you closely round the house & garden, then you can attach a short, very light weight "lead" in the form of some string, or light rope, but just let it trail. After a while pick up the rope & use very gentle pressure to guide the dog. Once the dog is doing this reliably round the house & garden, you can start to practice the exercise for a few minutes out on walks while your dog is off lead, but in quiet areas with no distractions ~ just following you in random directions. Then with distractions like other dogs closer to you, then with the lead attached, & then for longer periods.

The very last place you should practice loose lead walking is when you attach the lead to leave the house for a walk.

But should you not have the time or inclination to train loose lead walking, then the harneses with the padded chest pieces are the best imo ~ less likely to pinch, pull or hurt your dog.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-02-2010, 09:19 AM
wot he said.

so walking them seperately and re-training

aside from that, and easy walk harness
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2010, 01:42 PM
the halti body harness is the best harness I've tried for pulling, you attach the lead to the front ring but have the option of using a double ended lead attached to the front and back if that makes sense.
Trying to get Mya used to a headcollar but it isn't going great so will stick with the halti body harness I think