View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 06:37 PM

How would you deal with this situation?....

OK...not looking for befores...afters or anthing else....jsut a' if you found yourself in this situation how would you deal with it'..

11 week old pup - you are sat on the sofa rolling the ball for said puppy, on the 6th retrive the pup jumps in your lap and drops the ball in your hand and latches aggressively onto your arm, the puppy will not let go and you are alone in the house.....

How would you deal in that instant?
Becks169
New Member!
Female 

21-01-2010, 06:42 PM
What breed/size is the puppy?
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 06:45 PM
my first reaction I think cos Ive had no time to think about it would probably be tothrow the ball,but I need to think about it but if the situation arose you dont have time to think..or would I try and release his grip, or if there was someone handy would I ask them to do it or would I yell ouch and hope he released..............it really needs thinking about but as I said you dont have time

jeanette
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 06:46 PM
Collie Spaniel cross - big collie size (at 11 weeks) - biting hard enough for teeth to penetrate jumper.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 06:47 PM
I would remain totally still & give the dog no eye contact or any other form of recognition.

Unless the puppy has hit an artery the physical damage would be minimal TBH with most puppies. They do not have adult teeth(even though puppy teeth are bl**dy sharp)that do real damage.
RedyreRotties
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2010, 06:48 PM
First, I would remain calm. I would take the puppy by the collar if he is wearing one, or the scruff if he is not, and pull up until he releases.

Any puppy who does this is in serious need of learning bite inhibition.

If this is an actual situation, it would be helpful to know what breed, and what age it was removed from the litter.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

21-01-2010, 06:48 PM
Try to release grip while making it VERY clear you are in pain. Continue to make it clear you're in pain, vocally and by body language and stop playing/remove the ball until such time as the pup has calmed down.

There's lots about bite inhibition if you do a search. Sounds like the pup needs some swift and sustained bite inhibition lessons.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Depends how much it hurts
I might freeze and not move till it lets go
Prob I would try and prize jaws apart, or make a noise to startle it or something, I usualy have juice near me so if I was really getting hurt I would prob upend a glass of juice on the pup

At that moment its not really about training just getting them off

What breed? How much damage? what did they do? what would you recomend?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by RedyreRotties View Post
First, I would remain calm. I would take the puppy by the collar if he is wearing one, or the scruff if he is not, and pull up until he releases.

Any puppy who does this is in serious need of learning bite inhibition.

If this is an actual situation, it would be helpful to know what breed, and what age it was removed from the litter.
Pup is 11 weeks
Been in home for 3 weeks
Drawn blood on 3 house members at least once
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Collie Spaniel cross - big collie size (at 11 weeks) - biting hard enough for teeth to penetrate jumper.
Ah right - tru jumper with that size dog I would just freeze and ignore it till it calmed down
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »