Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ALexa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-01-2010, 09:11 PM

Recommendations for joint suppliments

I know many dogs suffer as they start to get older with aches and pains - similar to us humans. One of my dogs has suffered slightly with stiffness in this colder weather and she is off to the vets shortly for a check over just in case its anything that needs treatment.

In the meantime do any of you have any recomendations for a natural suppliment or combination of suppliments that can be given to help keep them supple and comfortable. I have heard lots mentionned over the years but have no experience of any of them. Im looking for advice from others that have actually used something and seen the benefits

I take Omega3 daily for this purpose and thought that the dogs may benefit from something as well.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 09:37 PM
I have been using Stride plus for my boy for the last few months, and he has certainly been fine over this cold spell without too much concern. he is 9 has HD and athritis.

hope that helps
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 09:49 PM
I've tried glucosamine chondroitin on two of my dogs without any noticeable effect, though I have heard of others who say they have noticed an improvement.

But I do highly recommend green lipped mussel extract. Its a natural anti-inflammatory supplement and there is some research proving results. I've been using it on my older bitch (who has two false cruciate ligaments and arthritic knees) for just over a year. I was sceptical of it at first - she was improved, but I put that down to her having lost weight etc. so when I ran out of my first supply, I didn't bother to get any more in. Anyway, after about 2 weeks of none I noticed a decline - put her back on it and she has been greatly improved - so much so that she's been able to do agility (not competitively and not full height) and she's just going from strength to strength.

Of course I can't guarantee that it will be as good on all dogs but certainly worth a try.

I'd also suggest hydrotherapy - that is something that I found really helped both my arthritic dogs - although since Hoki has been on the green lipped mussel, she hasn't needed any more sessions. Again I guess success will depend on the dog and the hydrotherapist - the guy we use doesn't just make the dogs swim - he manipulates joints etc.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 09:50 PM
My maisie has arthritis and we use a tablespoon of organic cider vinegar, a tabblesppon of Aloe Vera & Salmon oil all mixed in with her food, she loves it and we have seen vast improvements in her joints, without using steroids.
Hope that helps.
There all good for us humans too and i use the cider vinegar and Aloe vera with success.
Hope thats of help
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-01-2010, 11:42 PM
Hi Alexa,
Willow has arthritis in her back legs and she is on glucosamine & condroitin tablets (human ones!) they really have made a massive difference to her mobility
I have also heard good things about green lipped mussel extract which i'm thinking of trying too.
CSJ do a natural herbal supplement called "get over" which is for dogs feeling their age and showing stiffness in the cold, wet weather.

Jann
xx
Beanz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-01-2010, 12:29 AM
We give our eldest dog Glucosamine. We did try green lipped muscle extract but it didnt appear to make any difference whereas the Glucosamine does.

Jointaid is good - just google it and you will get their website.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2010, 12:36 AM
I use glucosamine and chondroitin supplements. It worked wonder on my welsh collie who was born with bad hips. I'm also using it on my 4 year old ex-racing greyhound but it's to early to see the effects just yet. It takes around 3 months to work. I buy them from Vetvits as the cheap ones don't tend to have enough in to make a difference.
My lab/collie x has them too and although he's 9, he's as agile as when he was younger with no joint problems at all.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2010, 06:36 AM
Flynn (Bad HD) is ok just on Kronch Salmon Oil daily & Rimadyl-when required (about half a tablet twice or three times a week!)so not much, but hbefore the rimadyl i used a variety of things, the best results i had was from Devils Claw. if you are interested i will suggest how to dose it. It is not only a natural Pain Killer but also a natural anntiflamatory.

I will just say kronch Salmon oil is AMAZING, joints & Skin. & for non /picky eaters.
Elisabeth
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-01-2010, 06:48 AM
Originally Posted by Skyesmum View Post
glucosamine & condroitin tablets (human ones!)
Beau gets this in the winter.

She doesn't seem to need them in the warmer months, but does have some stiffness in her back end in the cold.

Works great for us.
ALexa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-01-2010, 08:38 AM
Thank you so much for all of those suggestions, I will look into them all and try to make a decision on what to go for.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >