Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
PIXIES MUM
New Member!
Female 

12-01-2010, 01:55 PM

What to do with a dog that hates other dogs

I have a 6 year old rescue Staffordshire bull who is a fantastic dog, but she hates other dogs, the problem is i'd dearly like to rehome another rescue dog at some point in the near future. any helpful advice gratefully accepted, about how i can hopefully do this.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Do you go to training classes?
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Others may give you more practical advice on how to help your dog overcome its dislike for other dogs but I will say this! You did a great thing by rescuing your Staff and if you did take another one on It may lead to great stress for your dog now and the new one. If it were me I would make the most of the dog you have now! In the future you may be able to have more than one dog.

How about volunteering at your local rescue as a dog walker instead xx
Elisabeth
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Why does she hate other dogs?

This is important.

Is she fearful of other dogs? Aggressive towards them (this is very different and not many dogs are aggressive - it usually stems from fear)? Does she lack confidence?

I would strongly advise if you don't have any knowledge in handling a fearful, shy, or aggressive dog to seek out a reptuable trainer who has previous knowledge of how to handle a dog with such issues as yours.

Start by building confidence. Bring her to a place where there are no or little dog traffic. Start by socializing her with people, have them ignore the dog until she makes the first move, then allow them to treat the dog (if she good at taking treats nicely), then let them have her sniff the new person, then pet. If she seems unsure, don't have the person pet her, just have him there. YOU praise and treat her.

I would strongly suggest a socialization class. It usually is just like basic obedience but has a high focus on socializing other dogs with other dogs and new surroundings.

I'll wait for your reply before posting more.

Good luck!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 04:38 PM
HI

i have a rescue staffie who is aggressive with other dogs - some dogs not all, but very aggressive onlead.

Without knowing full info on why she is aggressive I am really not sure what advice I can give.

However what I will say is this, I am a volunteer for staffie rescue in scotland, and a few months ago I was very very tempted by a bitch we got in, and seriously considered taking her on, after lots of good advice, I realised that whilst i was looking at the great thing about having another dog etc, it actually wouldnt have been the best thing for my dog, he is a people dog through and through and although he may have accepted another dog if introduced properly, he didnt need or want one really, so I would have been compromising him and his needs.

Also consider that if you did go down this road you would need to be able to seperate the dogs when you went out etc in case of any fight breaking out etc.

I actually think if your dog is quite happy with you and you with her, why rock the boat. Like someone else said have you considered dog walking for rescue or offering to do home assessments etc.
Elisabeth
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-01-2010, 04:47 PM
I think we need to clarify, because I am a tad confused.

Is your dog tolerant of other dogs (walks nicely on a loose leash with you while other dogs pass by at a distance or close by)?

Or does your dog just not enjoy interacting with other dogs, such as in play?

I think being tolerant is essential to every dog. Especially larger breed dogs who have that "dangerous or bad" reputation.

Remember, dogs are pack animals. It is natural for them to want to be around others. It is healthy for them to interact with other dogs. It teaches manners, social skills, and tolerance.

I do agree that some dogs are not taught to interact or socialize with others, which will hinder this tolerance but it is our responsibility as dog owners (especially larger breeds who are more physcially powerful than us) to ensure our dogs behave properly in all situations.