Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2010, 10:22 AM

How to use a training lead?

Can somebody tell me how to use a training lead??

I've got this long black lead, which has the clips at either end with a ring in the middle, is this a training lead??

I don't know how to use it as a short lead, coz I would have no handle to it??? I need to keep Zena short onlead in the snow up the High Street walking in the road, and yet it would allow me to let her have the extra length to walk up the quiet roads in the thick snow, I don't want to be pulled over you see!

Failing that, I do have a very short lead I can put on for the road, and then resort to a stretchy or something for going up the hill on the quiet roads!

I just don't feel secure without that "handle", so I thought there might be a way of using this to give me a handle so to speak! LOl! Any help greatfully received. Thanks!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Hi H
Is it a Halti one?
If you put it onto the short version (by clipping one end to the loest ring) you should be able to do that by feeding the clip through the other rings on the lead, before clipping it on the bottom one...if you see what I mean
It doesn't give you a handle as such, but makes the lead feel much more secure, alternatively pop her harness on, clip one clip onto the harness on one onto her collar, I've been doing that with Cosmo in the ice (he doesn't generally wear a harness) as it makes me feel a bit more in control when he darts off to make snow angels!!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2010, 11:10 AM
Oh thanks A, I understand that now, coz when I went out to get it, I found it actually has 2 d-rings not the one in the middle! Anyhoo, I put it around MY neck, (for later!) and used the horse rope coz I've put a big knot at the end of that and I'm so used to that one with Georgie!

Thankfully, I've just got home safe and sound, and have to say, as per usual, she surprised me, she was a complete angel, especially on the way home when I had to come down TWO very steep and icy roads, she seemed to know that if she was slipping then mummy would be too, so she was more than happy to listen to me and stay right next to my side at all times! All my training has paid off then! I never thought it would be this easy with her, but perhaps the novelty is wearing off with the snow for Zena too!

Later on then, I will do what you say, and thread it through having clipped one end short, and I too thought of putting a harness on her as well, but for me, the harness seems to make her pull, whereas the collar doesn't, but the two together will make everything more secure!

It was soooo icy out there, but I found some crusty snow along the edges of the roads, and uphill was a lot better than coming down I can tell ya!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Hi, I use training leads most of the time and though they don't have a proper handle as such, I feel much more in control of them, and find I can wind the lead around my wrist better than a lead with a normal handle.
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Even better you can clip the halti one around your waist, something I must remember to do, seeing that last week I accidentaly dropped the lead, the pup shot out in the street (luckily no cars at the time) and I sprained the ankle when I tried to step on the lead - the road was frozen! Still having nightmares about it!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2010, 01:05 PM
No probs H...they are a bit fiddly aren't they?

I think the harness can make them pull more as well, but with Cosmo being so huge (Like you with both of yours) I just feel more in control if I have him on his harness and collar when it's like this...it's awful where we are today and so I sort of use the lead like a horse rein...one bit in either hand and I use the lead to steer and control and hold on for grim life if needs be!!!!!

Glad you got it sorted though! I hate this slippy weather.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2010, 02:38 PM
I usually clip mine onto the first ring, then on to the 2nd ring - it gives you a double handle & makes a short lead. I never thought of threading it through - but that makes sense too. Also qite comfy to hold as it's cotton covered webbing- oh just like the ones I'm making & hoping to sell (that was not a plug for my new business venture - honest )
Glad you managed without slipping though H
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
I usually clip mine onto the first ring, then on to the 2nd ring - it gives you a double handle & makes a short lead. I never thought of threading it through - but that makes sense too. Also qite comfy to hold as it's cotton covered webbing- oh just like the ones I'm making & hoping to sell (that was not a plug for my new business venture - honest )
Glad you managed without slipping though H
So am I! I can't believe how much it has changed since yesterday's walk, because of the blooming cars going up and down, both the roads are single track, so I'm left with the big icy lump in the middle or narrow bits of thick snow on either side of the tyre tracks, so I plumped for the middle, which in parts was horrendous, and soooo steep it's all on the way up to Cissbury Hill I'll be glad when I can have my bladdy car back!!!

Yes, that lead is very soft and comfy, but it spent the entire walk around my neck, but I did use it yesterday, and definitely will tomorrow, coz I've got to get Zena out, the garden and training isn't enough for her, she needs to get out and explore and play and sniff, whereas Georgie just likes to sleep, and he's probably enjoying this new lifestyle if the truth's known! Lol!