Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2009, 06:45 PM

Scissors

I am looking for a pair of professional scissors that I can use on my retriever x and on my horses, can anyone recommend any good ones?
Windhound
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-12-2009, 08:55 PM
There are so many types of scissors that you can buy,do you want them for trimming ,thinning? The best thing to do is go online and look at the different Grooming Suppliers,for instance Simpsons of Langley. or Dyzanadog or Petcetera they all do a large range for you to select from. Or telephone and speak to someone who will tell you what you need.good luck
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2009, 10:13 PM
I've looked online, but as you said, there are so many types!

I need them for trimming (I already having thinning scissors) but don't know what brands are best, are there any that ware particularly well, any brands I should stay away from?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm not aware of any brands to stay away from - it really depends on how much you are going to use them - mine are in dire need of being sharpened at the moment.

I also prefer longer ones - my current pair are 7 or 8" I think.
Chunky
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-12-2009, 11:09 AM
If you want a reasonable priced but hard wearing scissor, then Roseline are a pretty good make to go with. Everyone is different in their prefered scissor, depending on the type of coats trimmed, whether the user is left or right handed, and even just the scissor action itself. If you don't use a scissor correctly you can sometimes completely wreck a good scissor in just a couple of uses branding it totally useless. Roselines are VERY forgiving, and are great for people just starting out. Personally, I would go with about a 7-71/2" straight, as they are quite a 'comfy' length. For the retriever x are you just looking at scissoring the bun/feathers? I would also get a smaller pair for between the pads (maybe a 5 1/2) and possibly a pair of thinners as they are very forgiving.

Simpsons offer 10% off I think if you buy 2 pairs.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Thank you chunky, will have a look at those

The scissors will just be for tidying up my retriever and they will probably get the most use on my horses (tidying manes and tails and trimming fetlocks and beards- I have 7 horses so they grow a fair bit of hair!)
I am just sick of having to replace scissors that each seem to blunt quicker than the last pair, I want a pair that is worth sharpening.
Chunky
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Roselines although are good enough to be sharpened regularly, just make sure you send them to a decent sharpener. Please don't take offence at this, but has anyone shown you how to use them correctly? Reason I'm asking is, if you do use them incorrectly they will dull quicker. If you haven't, ask any half decent groomer, they will show you the correct way, it really does make a huge difference. Also make sure hair is squeeky clean, cutting dirty hair is a BIG no no and will blunt a scissor in a heartbeat. To be honest though as you are going to be cutting mane/tails then your scissors WILL lose it's edge pretty quick. I would also keep them well oiled
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2009, 12:53 PM
I am probably going to sound very dim, but theres a proper way to use scissors?

I just use them the same way on the dogs as I would for the horses feathers.
Chunky
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-12-2009, 01:09 PM
No, no it doesn't sound dim at all. Ok, it's more about how you hold the scissors more than anything else. It's really hard to explain, it far better for you to see. Firstly you only have the tip of your thumb in the thumb hole, and the other finger used is your ring finger (not index or middle), but that goes through sort of too the first joint ONLY. The Middle and index are used to balance the scissor, when you use them. It's so hard to explain. You also only need minimal pressure. Too much pressure and as I said earlier the edge can be taken off on virtually the first use. Roselines ARE more forgiving for this. To be honest for what you want, it would be pointless going for any of the really decent scissors as you would just be throwing your money away. DO NOT attempt to sharpen them yourself.

You also need to ensure the tension is correct so that you have them 'balanced' as this too will blunt them if not correct. If you need anymore info just pm me and I'll give you the name of a groomer near you could contact that could give you all the information you need. It really would be worth you popping in to see one, would only take about 10 mins to show you