Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-12-2009, 09:08 AM

Another government scheme... <sigh>

Well, what do you all think of the latest government scheme to keep 'the kids' safe 'online'? Here's some details. Early indications from the tech community are we can't get past the Zip it bit without wondering why children need to compress their personal details. This in reference to zip files which are, of course, compressed data. They really should have thought of that when choosing that term which has strong tech connotations... Which just goes to indicate this whole scheme was thought out by someone with little technical knowledge. Not much change from usual there then!

Personally, I don't subscribe to all this using software to block what my children do online. I rely on good old parenting skills (i.e. make an effort to know what they're doing as far as possible.) and also maintain technical skills better than theirs. They know they'd better not try to hide anything from me on the computer because I could easily find it if I put my mind to it. Also, I have access to all the computers on our home network except for Mrs. C's Vista laptop due to it's technical limitations. The Linux machines I can log on to from wherever I happen to be and check what's going on.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-12-2009, 01:28 PM
The zip bit means to me and could to children is not to talk about what happens on the internet when you obviously don't want that to happen.

It’s the Parents responsibility and should always monitor what their kids are up to and who they are talking to I know all of my daughters contacts i her MSN/ Face book and look at the screen as I walk past no need to put your face in there to make it obvious.

My daughter has got adult contacts in her Face book but all these are either family or my OH’s friend’s wives who play the games like Farmville amongst others and they asked permission before they added my daughter to friend list

She knows never to add anyone she don't know as we have told her that even though someone says they are 12 or friend of hers they might be lying as she doesn’t know who they really are.

I tested her one time by making up a spoof MSN account and tried to get her to add me she didn't and she brought it to mine and the OH's attention that it had happened.

So i'm confident that I have educated her enough to keep her safe from any danger out there on the internet.
LittleMonster
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-12-2009, 02:12 PM
I think parenting is more important. A lot of 10 year olds nowadays will be able to get around the child protection filters anyway to be perfectly honest.

I've had a PC in my room since I was about 12, and had net since about then, my parents trusted me to be safe and tell them if anything did ever happen. And I've never needed saving either, met 1 or 2 weird (although probably harmless) people via online gaming, but as I never gave out any particularly person info and such I've never actually had a problem.

I know of more than 1 girl who has met up with strangers from online, most recently a 14 year old met up with another 14 year old - who was actually a 40 year old registered sex offender. Parents didn't have a clue, and no amount of protection software stopped it happening either.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

14-12-2009, 02:51 PM
Exactly! It's basic parenting! Awareness of what your offspring are up to however much they don't like it!