Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2009, 08:14 PM

Do Dogs know whose stuff is whose?

Monty had a "destruction day" today and decided that he'd see how easy it would be to make my OH's Playstation 3 controllers no longer work - quite easy it would seem. Note to Playstation - your controllers are not dog-proof.

Anyway it got me thinking about all the other stuff he's ever destroyed that wasn't his own to destroy and it was then that I realised everything he's ruined has been my OH's.

So do you think they know which items in the house belong to which person? Things like clothes and shoes I can understand because of the smell but what about other stuff?
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2009, 08:24 PM
It's always my slippers that Mo pinches, yeh ok I got smellie feet

I had a JRT once that chewed two watches, a cookery book, my glasses, and a coat of mine.
All hubby's things were safe
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2009, 08:41 PM
Mack has had quite a few bits of my underwear,socks,even one of my fave hats, never pinches anybody elses, and Meg often has one of OH's socks in her mouth.

My old girl killed a food processor once, knocked it off the kitchen counter, and chewed it up, she also killed a phone, remotes, kids toys, TBH if it was lying around and you went out it was fair game
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
It's always my slippers that Mo pinches, yeh ok I got smellie feet

I had a JRT once that chewed two watches, a cookery book, my glasses, and a coat of mine.
All hubby's things were safe
He's never bothered with shoes really or clothes for that matter. He seems to like electrical goods such as remotes, toy helicopters and now PS3 controllers!

Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post
Mack has had quite a few bits of my underwear,socks,even one of my fave hats, never pinches anybody elses, and Meg often has one of OH's socks in her mouth.

My old girl killed a food processor once, knocked it off the kitchen counter, and chewed it up, she also killed a phone, remotes, kids toys, TBH if it was lying around and you went out it was fair game
We're - wait I mean I'm - quite meticulous about tidying things away out of his reach but we thought he'd given up on chewing our stuff as we always leave him something to do or something to chew. I find it so odd how it's always the OH's stuff especially as the Wii controllers (mine) were right next to the PS3 ones!
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
He's never bothered with shoes really or clothes for that matter. He seems to like electrical goods such as remotes, toy helicopters and now PS3 controllers!

We're - wait I mean I'm - quite meticulous about tidying things away out of his reach but we thought he'd given up on chewing our stuff as we always leave him something to do or something to chew. I find it so odd how it's always the OH's stuff especially as the Wii controllers (mine) were right next to the PS3 ones!
Tessies victims were random stuff she managed to get hold off, she did stop it thankfully, she was a rescue, it was the first year she was with us, I think she did it as a stress reliever when left alone, as she had bad Seperation Anxiety to begin with. She did have Kongs etc, but obviously our stuff was more appealing I must admit, I did try to pick everything up, but always seemed to miss something, and she'd find it

But, it was always stuff that had recently been touched, so maybe your OH is smellier than you meant that in the nicest possible way
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Of course they do every thing in the house is theirs, right.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Funny! I remember the helicopter incident so well! Naughty Monty bum.

We've been lucky so far, Woody has never gone for anything of ours. We had lots of clothes ruined when he was a puppy though with his little razor teeth.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2009, 09:30 PM
do you give him more attention than your OH? ..If so, i reckon hes hinting!!

Bit OT, but my cat used to wee on the bed(gross) but she ALWAYS did it on my oh's side! mwhahahah
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2009, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post
Tessies victims were random stuff she managed to get hold off, she did stop it thankfully, she was a rescue, it was the first year she was with us, I think she did it as a stress reliever when left alone, as she had bad Seperation Anxiety to begin with. She did have Kongs etc, but obviously our stuff was more appealing I must admit, I did try to pick everything up, but always seemed to miss something, and she'd find it

But, it was always stuff that had recently been touched, so maybe your OH is smellier than you meant that in the nicest possible way
I do wonder if it's the scent thing - My OH works away during the week so i wonder whether Monty's missing him more than i realise.

Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
Of course they do every thing in the house is theirs, right.
Oh so true!!

Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Funny! I remember the helicopter incident so well! Naughty Monty bum.

We've been lucky so far, Woody has never gone for anything of ours. We had lots of clothes ruined when he was a puppy though with his little razor teeth.
It's almost like he knew that Rich would be home this weekend and that he's got this new Call of Duty game that he's desperate to play and Monty thought "no chance, not seen you for two weeks Dad so you can play with me instead"!!
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2009, 11:10 PM
dylan has always been an absolute dream and never touched anything that didn't come from a pet shop!

so far, lilypig is following his lead. all good.

but, my dear lurcher who passed last year destroyed shoes, toys, cushions, clothes, furniture and just about anything that wasn't nailed down in our first 2 years together.

fortunately for me, the 10 and a half years after that he decided that no one was going to beat him/leave him/hurt him so life was pretty damn good for us all.

and do you know that i would happily have chewed up stuff around just to have him back again. jeez i miss that dog.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >