Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vics
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-11-2009, 11:40 AM

Puppy peeing on his bedding!

My puppy is 9 weeks old today and we have started to establish a good toilet training routine. We've had quite a few accidents but I do totally accept this.

He has has a soft bed in the living room or kitchen for the past week (I put in the the room I'm in) and has never had an accident anywhere near it. Last night he peed right in the middle of the soft bed which really confused me as I know dogs don't like to toilet where they sleep.

I've taken the soft bed away and replaced it with a fleecy blanket for him to sleep on (only through the day, he is crated overnight). He has also peed on this!

I am planning to go buy him a plastic bed today for ease of cleaning but can anyone tell me why he might have suddenly started peeing in his bed?

Do I get a plastic bed and not put any blankets in it as they are absorbant or do I give him a pad or blanket in there?

Any ideas please
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by Vics View Post
My puppy is 9 weeks old today and we have started to establish a good toilet training routine. We've had quite a few accidents but I do totally accept this.

He has has a soft bed in the living room or kitchen for the past week (I put in the the room I'm in) and has never had an accident anywhere near it. Last night he peed right in the middle of the soft bed which really confused me as I know dogs don't like to toilet where they sleep.

I've taken the soft bed away and replaced it with a fleecy blanket for him to sleep on (only through the day, he is crated overnight). He has also peed on this!

I am planning to go buy him a plastic bed today for ease of cleaning but can anyone tell me why he might have suddenly started peeing in his bed?

Do I get a plastic bed and not put any blankets in it as they are absorbant or do I give him a pad or blanket in there?

Any ideas please
Hi Vics see also this extract from your previous thread posted just 4 days ago ..

Yesterday he had quite a few accidents inside but he nearly always did it on the puppy mat by the back door which I thought was fantastic. We are also crating him overnight and when we go out (I feel mean but it's better all round I think!). The first 2 nights he didn't have any accidents in his crate but when we got up this morning he'd pooed! He has his supper at 8.45pm, last walk outside at 10pm and then we take him out at 6am.
You have I think only had your puppy for a number of day so he has yet to learn what is expected of him . Also I am afraid you puppy has been getting mixed messages, he was getting a favourable reaction for relieving himself indoors.

Re the crate, your puppy has no control over his bodily functions , if you shut him in a crate overnight and he needs to 'go' he has no alternative but to use the crate, this can establish a habit of soiling in his bed wherever it happens to be .

I would thoroughly clean the soiled covers and continue to follow the advice given in the previous thread...

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=115550

PS I note from another thread that your puppy has also had a bit of a problem with his tummy, this may have contributed to his soiling in the bed.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2009, 06:47 PM
Are you still using the puppy pads for him to toilet on? unfortunately because you have used these he is likely to have associated peeing on a soft surface with the puppy pads.
Vics
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-11-2009, 07:38 PM
The puppy pads were only down for a few hours over 2 days in case of accidents. We still took Beau out regularly to toilet and never made a fuss of him if he used the pads but rewarded him for toileting him outside.

The pads have been completely removed now, but to be fair lots of people do use them with success and I must say that from all the replies to my posts I do feel a little persecuted for using pads, crating, etc etc......I am new to all the and only wanted a little advice, not criticism for everything I do
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-11-2009, 08:42 PM
For all the talk about dogs not fouling their bed, I think sometimes they deliberately do to claim it as theirs. I have had puppies do it when they are well beyond accidents.

I would clean it up fairly well, but not so well as to remove all trace. if you leave enough he can smell it, he may not mark it again.

As I mentioned in the other thread, we have our 19'th puppy now. We have been very successful crating them. Sometimes at first, you do need to take them out in the middle of the night. If he doesn't wake you in time, try getting up yourself and taking him out. Also, when you take him out, walk him around to stimulate his body. Praise him for eliminating and give him some more time outside. Sometimes they don't completely empty their bladder.

Have you had him to the vet? There is almost enough going on to suggest a UTI.
Vics
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-11-2009, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
For all the talk about dogs not fouling their bed, I think sometimes they deliberately do to claim it as theirs. I have had puppies do it when they are well beyond accidents.

I would clean it up fairly well, but not so well as to remove all trace. if you leave enough he can smell it, he may not mark it again.

As I mentioned in the other thread, we have our 19'th puppy now. We have been very successful crating them. Sometimes at first, you do need to take them out in the middle of the night. If he doesn't wake you in time, try getting up yourself and taking him out. Also, when you take him out, walk him around to stimulate his body. Praise him for eliminating and give him some more time outside. Sometimes they don't completely empty their bladder.

Have you had him to the vet? There is almost enough going on to suggest a UTI.

Hi Labman,

Thanks for your reply. To be honest I don't think he has a UTI because he can hold on for up to 4 hours at a time in his crate (overnight). He only seems to pee on his bedding if it's left on the kitchen floor now so I've taken this away and if he wants to sleep he must use his crate (the door is left open).

We've made the crate smaller by putting in a divider as he seemed to be sleeping in one half and toileting in the other.

Last night we took him out at 10.30pm then crated him. I took him out at 2.30am then re-crated him and then we took him out at 6.30am. There we're no accidents!

The main problem we have seem to be through the day, we seem to be constantly outside (he's always sniffing around ) and yet he still pee's inside! Our routine is getting better now though and I have started to put him in his crate for short periods through the day when I'm at home to encourage him to sleep in there and also to help with toileting as he doesn't seem to want to toilet in his new, smaller crate.

I think you're right about the 'marking' though as it is only his bedding on the kitchen floor. Interestingly enough he won't pee on his crate bedding in the crate but this morning he dragged it out of the crate on to the kitchen floor and then a short time later pee'd on it
taniamiff
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Hi

I would not worry too much about it at this stage, it is still really early days and it does sound like that he is doing well.

When Bear was a little pup he used to wee in his crate and on his bedding in the night. I think it was because his bladder was not mature enough to hold it all night. He is 21 weeks now and has been dry in the night for several weeks, it just seemed to click and that was it. He does still have the occasional accident in the house which is frustrating but on must occasions I think it is because I have missed the signals.

Good luck
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-11-2009, 01:45 PM
We have been very fortunate with 8 week old Raven. At least half the 9 nights we have had her, she made it through the night, and the rest until 50 minutes before the alarm went off. She has been clean and dry every night but the first, perhaps because we didn't feed her until 9 PM when we got home with her. Also no whining at bed time.

Not so with many of our other 17 young puppies.

Try giving him an ''Ut, ut, ut!'', diverting him with a toy and putting the bed back in the crate when he brings it out. It may take many corrections to stop it.
obedientdog
New Member!
Male 

17-11-2009, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Vics PS I note from another thread that your puppy has also had a bit of a problem with his tummy, this may have contributed to his soiling in the bed.

This was my thought.

Also if you've only had the pup for a short time it could also be new surroundings and the constant movement of the bed your pup sleeps on.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
We have been very fortunate with 8 week old Raven. At least half the 9 nights we have had her, she made it through the night, and the rest until 50 minutes before the alarm went off. She has been clean and dry every night but the first, perhaps because we didn't feed her until 9 PM when we got home with her. Also no whining at bed time.

Not so with many of our other 17 young puppies.

Try giving him an ''Ut, ut, ut!'', diverting him with a toy and putting the bed back in the crate when he brings it out. It may take many corrections to stop it.
I guess that means Raven was around 7 weeks maybe less when you got her, poor little puppy she must have been very cold laying on wire mesh with no bedding (as you advise posters here to do with their puppies ).

I am not surprised Raven makes it through the night (in spite of the sleeping conditions) when your puppies are deprived of free access to water for most of the time

not so with many of our other 17 young puppies.
maybe this was because they were cold and miserable laying on their wire mesh.

A lot of my puppies make it through the night after the first couple of days, I don't mind if they don't, I am happy to get up and take them out.
Sleeping in their box on a warm blanket next to my bed they soon learn to feel safe and secure and happily settle down to sleep through the night .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >