Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2009, 10:00 PM

Rats?

As some of you know my Cat disappeared some 3 months ago. I moved house, kept her in for 3 weeks and gradually started letting her out. One Saturday morning I let her out and I've never seen her since. Doesn't look like she'll be back now tbh.

So at the mo it's just me and the two dogs, which is fine apart from the nights I come home from work to an empty house (my dogs stay at my parents when I'm at work as I work 12 hour shifts). Now I'm quite happy with my own company, but at the same time I do miss having something to say hello to at the end of a long day......

I've considered getting another cat, but truth be told I don't want another cat - I want my cat. Plus I really don't think I would be able to find a cat that would tolerate being pestered by the mutts and then there's the very small possibility my cat could be found and returned!

So my mind turns to rodents, I've had Gerbils, Hamsters, Gunieas, Rabbits and Dwarf Hamsters. What I've always wanted is Ratties! Trouble is it's so long since I've had any small furries I've forgotten what it's like, so I have a few questions....

Do Rats tolerate being caged for long periods, ie when I'm at work for 14 hours? This is the cage I was thinking of.

How long do they live normally, I'd be interested in rescuing some rather than buying youngsters, but there's always the horrid thought of loosing them soon after getting them.

How well would they tolerate the dogs? the cage would be in the living room and they'd live pretty much side by side with the dogs, apart from 3-4 days a week when they're at my parents!

And basically any other opinions on what it's like to own rats would be helpful.

Thanks peeps!
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2009, 11:26 PM
i had rats and cats and that worked fine. my friend had a petterdale and rats and she wanted to kill them all the time and wasnt allowed in the room with them.
They normally live 2-3 years. I bet you could fins rescue rats my mates were rescue ones. you can "litter" train them. mine use to sleep on my bed while i did my collage work.
The cage looks fab, but if you go for any make sure the shelvin is soild, a lot (mainly) chin's cages have wire bottoms which can cause bumblefoot.
and never give up hope of ur cat, there was one returned after 10 years coz of its microchip =)
ATD x
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2009, 09:15 AM
Well I'd say go for it!!! I did 3 years ago and I've never regretted it

They will be fine for that length of time as long as you let them out for a couple of hours when you are home and give them lots of fun stuff in the cage. Girls are more active than boys well if my 2 rescues are anything to go by they are pure mad

If you google Fany Rats you will get a forum which will give you loads of info.

I think the Norh of England Rat Society is nearest to you might be worth contacting them for rescue info.

The person who bred my boys is chairman and involved in the rescue side too. If you follow this link
http://www.shunamiterats.co.uk/index.shtml
it takes you to her website I did hear there was a rescue litter in the NE

HTH
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2009, 12:09 PM
I have 37 rat friends now (eek LOL) and I do not know what I did without them - they would be fine caged during the day - I used to have that cage and was fab for filling with hammocks and toys.

My oldest 2 boys are now 25 months old - people do have rat friends who live to be over 3 though - I am thinking positive and have told my guys I expect them all to make at least 5!

Most of my rats are upstairs in their own ratroom but I also have a cage of 5 downstairs in the lounge - the dogs love them and will give gentle kisses, some dogs may be less tolerant but when caged they would be fine - mine find them totally intriguing and will sit and watch them for hours.

I take my guys out and about a lot - not all at once LOL but usually 2 or 3 I often take 2 to work with me and the kids LOVE them - all my friends who originally didnt like rats now love them, there is only one left who is still nervous of their tails I also take them to doggy events - sled dog rallies and fun days - they love it, some of them have even won prizes in dog shows

They travel well in the van - some of them sit in a boxy space on the dashboard, but most go in a cat carrier when we are on the move.

Rescues are fab - a fair few of mine are rescues - just picked two up on Halloween - Billy and Elizabeth - Elizabeth is my first ever girl - she may well be pregnant but I am hopin not!!!

cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2009, 12:47 PM
You picked them up on Halloween and called them BILLY AND ELIZABETH!!!

If this is your first ever girlie you may be in for a culture shock I know I had a BIG one with Blanche and Rose
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2009, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
You picked them up on Halloween and called them BILLY AND ELIZABETH!!!

Billy because the guy we got them from was called Billy - and Elizabeth because their destiny was to be fed to snakes and we then thought royal pythons and wanted a royal name ... it seemed logical at the time .... LOL

Elizabeth is very very pingy!
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Not a bad cage at all - and they will be fine in it for a good many hours of the day Just give them an hour or two of freerange.

They make absolutely superb pets - and if you're keen to look at breeders as well (the majority also help rescue situations, and may well have foster litters) - try e-mailing breeders@nfrs.org for a list of breeders in the UK. Not all are fab - but at least they're *all* heading in the right direction! I would never consider buying from a petshop or backyard breeder though - it could really open you up to heartache.

xx
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
Billy because the guy we got them from was called Billy - and Elizabeth because their destiny was to be fed to snakes and we then thought royal pythons and wanted a royal name ... it seemed logical at the time .... LOL

Elizabeth is very very pingy!
Makes perfect sense now Like my girls they had a lucky escape
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-11-2009, 11:48 PM
Thought of a house rabbit?
I had one that was good with cats and dogs, house trained, could go out on the lead and cuddled up on the sofa with me all night. his name was Elliot and he had full run of the house- fully recommend one to anyone they are full of character!!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Degus are gorgeous and live longer than rats. Not as easy to find as rats, don't smell like rats do but need careful feeding as they can develop diabetis.

rune
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >