View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2009, 01:10 PM

Witnessed some interesting dog "handling" this morning...

I drove Dex (Lab) and Bo (Slovak) out to a local common near to me early ish this morning (well, early for me; 8:00am!) for their walk. Bo ran like a maniac and Dex plodded along as per normal and we headed back to the car after about 40 minutes. Obviously they were on leads as we neared to our car. A saw a women in a huge Merc 4x4 pull up and park next to my car. I guess she hadn't seen us coming (although I saw her) as she let her dog straight out of the car with no lead. Her dog was pretty big; maybe a Bouvier or Briard type mix...at least, that is what it looked like. A big black cross breed anyway.

Next thing I knew this dog came hurtling over to us with it's teeth bared, growling, staring straight at my two. The woman SCREAMED (I'm not kidding you) "OH MY GOD, MAX, NO!! DON'T MOVE. DON'T MOVE OR HE'LL GO FOR THEM". I turned my two away so they were not facing this dog. Woman remained motionless. I hollered over if she was going to remove her bloody dog and get it under control. Her response; "I CAN'T! IF I MOVE TOWARDS HIM HE WILL GO!". At which point she started picking up rocks off the ground and throwing them at her dog. One of the rocks hit her dog in the head, distracting him, and then she literally jumped on it. The dog then made an attempt to bite her (redirected aggression?) as she then restrained it. After that I was left quite speechless, put the dogs away and drove off.

Honestly, you'd think that if you had a dog that was dog aggressive you wouldn't let it straight out of your car boot, off lead, in a popular dog walking spot. What a bizarre start to the day.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2009, 01:16 PM
OMG how frightening! I bet you won't be going there again, at least not at that time
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2009, 01:19 PM
words fail me,

im glad you and yours are ok,
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2009, 01:29 PM
That really is quite bizarre and the outcome could've been really bad.
louise81
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-10-2009, 01:36 PM
That has got to be one of the strangest things i have ever heard.There is some odd people about with dogs these days.
laura1976
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-10-2009, 02:04 PM
A friend saw someone a while ago pull their car up at beachy head, fling the back door open and let the dog loose, they didn't bother getting out. The dog ran full pelt straight to the edge of the cliff and kept on going.............then they stood there crying when they realised what had happened, some people are just plain dim.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
OMG how frightening! I bet you won't be going there again, at least not at that time
Nope, won't be going at that time again. Although I'd like to think the stupid woman will think before she acts next time.

Originally Posted by Shona View Post
words fail me,

im glad you and yours are ok,
Thanks.

Originally Posted by Hali View Post
That really is quite bizarre and the outcome could've been really bad.
Yeah. Dex would defend himself, but another dog going for Bo just doesn't bear thinking about. She is sensitive with other larger dogs and an incident like that could ruin it for her.

Originally Posted by louise81 View Post
That has got to be one of the strangest things i have ever heard.There is some odd people about with dogs these days.
Worrying isn't it.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2009, 02:28 PM
it's incredible isn't it that firstly, she let the dog out of the car without checking who was around, particularly with it being aggressive and secondly she threw rocks at it to try and distract it!

i'm glad you and the pups are ok!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Oh good grief, Ollie can be touchy with other dogs at times, so there is no way if we take him anywhere in the car we let him out without having hold of his lead and under control.

It is frightening enough for people when they see a large dog growling at their dog when it is on a lead so when they are not must be terrifying.

The other thing is what if your dogs had reacted too it ? I know Ollie would of done would it then of gone for them ?

Really there is no understanding some people.

Glad you are all ok.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Hi,

Glad your dogs are OK and hope you weren't too shaken up by it. I'd like to think I'd have given her a mouthful if I'd seen it but would most likely be completely gobsmacked into silence!

Some epople don't deserve dogs. How on earth is throwing rocks at him going to stop him being aggressive?! There's no hope for some I think.

Laura xx
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >