Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

21-10-2009, 07:38 AM

Scareware

Here's a link to a thread about issues people have been having with scareware pop-ups on this site! It doesn't seem to show up in new post searches so I thought I'd create a new thread and link to it.

I know it's a bit of an obsession of mine as you all may have noticed but really, Windows security (Or the lack of it!) is beyond a joke! And don't believe the hype that Windows 7 is more secure. It isn't. It's based on the same old buggy code and they've even relaxed one security feature because people were complaining it was intrusive. I'm talking about User Access Control.

Anyway, before I rant on too long... As per my offer at post #13 of the above linked to thread, if anyone wants advise then contact your local Linux Users Group or ask me. I will try to be objective and factual. Just don't bother asking me how to secure Windows!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2009, 07:48 AM
or you could just download some free anti-spyware software? And invest in Nortons AV?
eta - my son got these pop-up all the time because he`d inadvertantly downloaded some software. We had to go though all the recent applications and work out which one was hiding it.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

21-10-2009, 08:09 AM
But why should you use a third party application to make your computer secure enough to use on the internet? It's ridiculous! Not only do you potentially have to pay for it, but it uses your computer's resources. Some of the bigger anti virus apps have a real reputation for being resource hogs.

There really is a viable alternative for most users!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2009, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by rich c View Post
But why should you use a third party application to make your computer secure enough to use on the internet?
cos they work?
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

21-10-2009, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
cos they work?
Why, yes. They do! Up to a point. If you've got a good anti virus it will be up to date with definitions of all but the very latest malware. I mean as in a day or two old maybe. It's a game of catchup with these guys. The good guys provide protection for a virus and then the bad guys work around that protection with the next version. All the time, you're running an application you should by rights not need and paying the 'good' guys for the privileged!

All I'm saying with this thread and my reply to the report in the forum help section is that this is not the way things should ideally happen and there is a way to use a computer online safely without worrying about nasty programs installing themselves without your knowledge. Of course, you still have to be careful of phishing scams but that's a different kind of attack. The main reason that Linux offers better security is because it was designed to be, and based on, a system for use on the network. The fundamental way that user accounts work ensure that unauthorised software cannot be installed. You are very much in control and have to be deliberate to install an application.

BTW, C&D, I do appreciate your efforts at playing Devil's advocate. However, I am confident that modern Linux distributions are ready for general computer users and that there are both paid-for and community support arrangements in place to facilitate this. I hope I have piqued your interest, and others, to investigate further!