View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cesar Millan1
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-10-2009, 11:49 AM

My 4 month old puppy attacked by 2 pitbulls.

Hey everyone, it's me again. Been a long time I know. Just thought I'd share this really sad story and give an update on my puppy, which some may remember when I was asking about injections and such when I first got Rambo, my puppy.

Anyway, I was with my mum and some of my friends around my estate and playing football with the two pups. One mine, and one my friends. Then a man with two pitbulls who was walking by came with his two pitbulls and they came charging. I tried to grab Rambo but it was too late. They both latched onto Rambo. One of the dogs locked onto his neck and the other near his belly area.

The owner in a hurry took out a screw driver and stabbed/opened the males mouth off my dog. Accidentally it went through his tongue but the dog got off. The screwdriver was hanging off the dogs mouth as another bystander was holding it from the collar.

I put the female dog who was locked onto the belly area in a headlock because I know pits will shake once they lock on. So one arm headlocked and I was trying to open its mouth with the other. The owner was hitting the dogs head in but it still wouldn't let go so he took out the screwdriver off the other dogs mouth and opened the females mouth too.

I actually thought my puppy was going to die. I've never been so emotionally hurt in my life. Anyway, in a hurry, me and my mum took him to the RSPCA emergency and the woman said he's really lucky because most pitbull attack cases they get, the dog usually either comes dead or dies there. For two dogs to attack a 4 month old puppy in areas like that, and the dog to walk away and jump and play like nothing happened, it's like a miracle. She cut off his hair on the part where the wounds were. There were 2-3 puncture holes in the areas but nothing too deep. Because he has Shar Pei in him, I think they caught his excess skin. The vet cleaned it up and gave him an injection. I need to wash wounds with salty water twice a day till the wounds heal up. It's the morning after now and Rambo seems a little down. Much better than yesterday I must say.

I think he's in shock because of the whole experience still. He's just resting. I was in tears at the vets because I hadn't noticed the puncture hole on his skin in the neck area. They were going to stitch it up but said it'd be better to leave the wound open and let it heal.

Here's what my puppy looked like at 6-8ish weeks I think for those who hadn't seen. The 2nd picture and onwards are him as of recent.

I'd appreciate any help on what to do. This is the first time I've ever come across such a situation
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 12:02 PM
not sure if you are asking what you can do regarding the dogs or the situation with your dog?

I hope your pup makes a full recovery - how old is he ?

I hope that you also reported the oener of the two alleged pitbulls too. What was their response? Did they offer to pay your vet bills etc?
why on earth did this man have a screwdriver with him?

just sounds like a horrendous situation and i wish your pup a speedy recovery, Once he is well I would recommend walking him with some super friendly calm dogs so as not to make him scared of other dogs now.
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 12:11 PM
what a horrible thing to happen to you, i hope your puppy is ok and makes a full recovery with no ill effects
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 12:30 PM
You need to report the incident. The owner of the two pitbull types either knew his dogs were potentially dangerous and that is why he had the screwdriver on him, or at the very least needs to be made aware after this incident that his dogs must be kept under stricter control.

You are so lucky that Rambo is a robust little thing... If that had been another breed, or not sostrong the vet is right that dog would have been brought in dead or dying.

Don't let the owner of the pitbull types get away with it unchallenged and don't go and challenge them yourself. Call the dogwarden and report the incident to them and to the police.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
You need to report the incident. The owner of the two pitbull types either knew his dogs were potentially dangerous and that is why he had the screwdriver on him, or at the very least needs to be made aware after this incident that his dogs must be kept under stricter control.

You are so lucky that Rambo is a robust little thing... If that had been another breed, or not sostrong the vet is right that dog would have been brought in dead or dying.

Don't let the owner of the pitbull types get away with it unchallenged and don't go and challenge them yourself. Call the dogwarden and report the incident to them and to the police.
poor Rambo
i agree with Magpye
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Absolutely report it, although the police are pretty useless when its dogs attacking dogs. If they carried a screwdriver with them they must have known the dogs were dangerous to others and should have kept them on leads.

I would think it would be an offense to carry a screwdriver anyway. The police would probably be more interested in that.

I hope your boy is OK.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 12:46 PM
What a totaly scary experience
I agree with what everyone has said. Sounds like if he had a screwdriver with him he was used to using it - he needs reported - for those dogs to attack a puppy they are seriously aggressive
I am so glad you are all OK, it could have been so much worse.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 01:11 PM
I agree with the advice you have been given.

I hope rambo makes a speedy recovery and walking him with clamer friendly dogs as soon as you can sounds a great idea to me. I am sure at the moment he is quiet and shocked by what happened, and bruised, but give him a few days with TLC I am sure he will be back to himself.

((((((((hugs))))))) to you both
Cesar Millan1
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-10-2009, 01:17 PM
The owner was extremely sorry. He had stabbed his own dog through the tongue and was beating the hell out of the other. It was an accident waiting to happen but yeah, he is in the wrong. The police were called but the guy was long gone. He came to make sure Rambo was ok after and gave his apologies. He then fled the scene :/

The vet didn't charge any bills. It was the RSPCA but the woman only asked for donations, which me and my mum did give all we could.

We just got in. Took Rambo for a walk. He seems fine. Just stings him a little when we're washing the wounds but other than that, he's fine. Running around the yard with his chewy/squeaky toy as we speak.

I just thought it would be a good idea to see if people knew what I could do. I'll make sure he plays with calm friendly dogs once he makes a full recovery. Loads of TLC atm. Anything else?
bingowings
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-10-2009, 01:22 PM
I agree with all the advice given so far.

All I can say is that I hope he recovers soon and I also love his ears!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >