Anistel

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Staffy x
09-10-2009, 06:27 PM   #1

Tooth crumbled and broken below gum line gum swollen and sore

Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award

Welcome to the Dogsey Forums!
Welcome to the LARGEST DOG FORUM in the world!!*

Welcome, you are seeing this message because you are viewing our dog owners forum as a guest. You are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Dog Lovers, on the biggest and best dog forum in the world!*

Doing so will unlock lots of features enabling you to participate on the site... and will also get rid of this message box and the advert on the left.

Click here to register for FREE!

*Dogsey hosts the largest English language dog-related forum in the world! By total number of posts.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Jack Russell Terrier
09-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #2

Re: Tooth crumbled and broken below gum line gum swollen and sore

Oh noooooo poor you.
I used to be like you with the dentist but luckily I have a dentist now who I have complete faith in and who is very tolerant of me.
I hope you get sorted soon Lynne.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: GSD, GSP, DobeXGSD, Collie
09-10-2009, 07:57 PM   #3

I have a real terror of dentists since a dreadful experience with one so I do know how you feel. I do find the experience is always much less painful than I expect, if that helps.
I think dentists get patients saying `I`m nervous` all the time so need to be told exactly how you feel.
Big hugs

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: S.B.T
09-10-2009, 09:37 PM   #4

Aww Bless ya! *Hugs* I hope your visit to the dentist tomorrow isn't so bad.

I don't like going to the dentist, but I go because I've suffered severe pain in the past, so I know what will happen if I don't keep up with my check ups.

Good Luck x

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: collieX
09-10-2009, 09:52 PM   #5

I kinda know how you feel I think. I have fainted in the dentist chair before he even did anything & hyperventilated getting in there. It took me years to get over it & like Lou never miss a check up to avoid anything having to be done but I'm better now with the phobia, I just cry if I have a filling.
But back to your current problem.This probably isn't good advice so don't take it, but when I've had severe toothache & the painkillers don't work I've resorted to gargling whisky around the gum it deadens the pain for a while - but don't swallow it especially with taking painkillers.

Dogsey Veteran

10-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #6

OH poor you that sounds horrible

I am another dentist phobic - I cannot stand needles
My friend put me in touch with her dentist - who admittedly is a bit rubbish (I had a broken tooth - she just pulled out the top bit and left the rest in my mouth - dental hospital were talking about surgery but decided to let it be for now) but she treats me like I am a kid and gives the numbing minty spray so I dont feel the needle - I can close my eyes and pretend

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Maltese and Silky Terrier
10-10-2009, 12:41 PM   #7

I do hope your appointment goes okay today. I have that problem with dentists too, it took me four months to get a tooth ripped out. It took all of 15mins but took me months to get there. They aren't locgical that is why they are phobia's they don't need to make sense they just are what they are.
I hope you have someone with you nothing like panicking when others are around by those who know you won't mind, I ended up with my O/H and my neighbour in with me, crying, snotting, and generally looking and glamourous. Oh and it happened to Valentines day, so my O/H got my tooth as a pressie. hehehehe
End of my story hope all is over soon for you.

Dogsey Veteran

10-10-2009, 12:56 PM   #8

I have to go back. I have painkillers and antibiotics and they can't do anything till infection and swelling goes down. I feel decidedly sick and am exhausted with the fear and now have to go through it all again next week. I asked about lnocking me out and they tryt to avoid this at all costs so looks like I have to struggle on and try to convince myself to go back next week. I feel totally wiped out am hoping the pain killers work but can't take them till I finish work as I can't drive with them

Dogsey Veteran

10-10-2009, 01:33 PM   #9

Gee I must have made some impact i have just had a call from them, I have to make an appointment on Monday at the community Dental Initiative (I had no idea we had such a thing) who deal with patients with specific needs and phobias. They will discuss all treatment options including General Anasthetic and Intravenous sedation. So obviously they didnt want to have to deal with a blubbering shaking wreck who was hysterical!

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: S.B.T
10-10-2009, 01:44 PM   #10

Aww I'm so glad they've decided to take your phobia serious *Hugs* Hope they come up with some sort of plan for you x