Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Alecia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-10-2009, 11:11 AM

Help please (dog eaten toy)

On thursday night my shep ate a soft plastic toy, he chewed it up, we took him to vets on friday morning and he couldnt feel anything and said as long as he was going to loo he would be ok , he gave him antibiotics and some supension to syringe down his thoat and had to take him back the next morning which we did and he gave him another injection and said he was very healthy, nothing has been passed so we were beginning to think he had just lost it while playing , this morning he sicked up 3 lots of it quite big but then just yellow bile came up after , but there is lots more in him any advice i would be very grateful for, is there anything i can do till tomorrow as we have no emergancy vet on, hes running around fine apart from that thank you .
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2009, 11:15 AM
I think you need some advice on this, you say there is no cover from the vets, what happens when you ring them?, surely they have a contact/transfer for emergencies. As you say he may have brought it all up.
If you are really worried then you must contact another vets and explain your situation, Hope he is ok

Jeanette
Alecia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-10-2009, 11:24 AM
HI thank you for your reply i get please ring tomorrow morning my oh is trying another one at moment , hes fine in himself but im worried he wont be able to sick some of it up as its gone hard , the toy was 6 inches long and 1 inch wide, we didnt think he would swallow it as hes not a pup and has never chewed before, thank you so much for returning to my post so quick.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Sorry to hear this. I can't offer you any advice I'm afraid, coz I would have gone to the vet, and if they don't have any emergency facilities, then I'd be going to another vet, you're allowed to do that did you know? If you get really worried, then phone up another vet and explain to them.

I find it rather strange that this was Thursday that he swalloed it, and yet it's still stuck in the stomach, so I'm guessing (and I AM guessing here!!) that the bits he sicked up were too big to travel any further through the opening to the intestines maybe? Hopefully, that could mean that the other bits you're missing have disintegrated in the stomach acid, or managed to get through to the bowel, but if they're sharp sided, then again you have a worry, they've got a long way to travel. Has he poo'd ok since Thursday then? I think it takes a long time for the process to go from stomach to rear end though, I remember my vet saying to me that "it doesn't work like that" when I said it was 12 hours! If he's poo'd I'd be digging around in there with a stick or something just to check it out!

Good luck with your boy, sorry I can't help, but you really need a vet, especially if you get worried at all, just phone another one and see what they say, they're all there to help our dogs so they shouldn't mind!
Alecia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Hi Again thank you so much for trying to help , yes hes pooing normally and im poking through it every time with a stick but there has been nothing that end at all coming through, the vet said as long as there is no blood in the sick or poo he should be ok but to ring again tomorrow or ring back if his stomach swells up , i think you could be right maybe they are just the big bits that couldnt disintragrate, thank you so much for your help im tending to panic and you have heped a lot .
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2009, 11:51 AM
I wouldn't worry excessively if your boy is running about and acting normally.

If he starts to get lethargic and appear unwell (you'll know the signs) I would then ring another vet to get an expert opinion.

Hope he's ok xx
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2009, 11:57 AM
As for things staying in the stomach a long time....while I was at a friends last week in August one of mine was playing with a well chewed toy and 10 days ago up came said bits of toy . I recognised it because I didnt have any purple toys. She was fine, still is fine never showed any signs of being ill at all. Dogs have been known to keep things in their stomachs a long time.

jeanette.

I find it very difficult to believe that there is no emergency cover, he did listen to the complete message. I know when I used to do the message at the surgery I worked at I always started to the message with "please listen to the complete message" because if you started with "the surgery is now closed" people wouldnt listen to the rest and put the phone down.

Hope you get sorted soon
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2009, 11:58 AM
OK had a bit of experience with dog eating things it shouldnt, if its still in the stomach, enough so that it can sick it up after this time I would say its possible that somewhere there may be a blockage, because otherwise this would have passed through by now IMO, my girl ate a toy one of those ropes with plastic sausages along it, she was only 12 weeks old I didnt notice the toy missing because she had so many, it took 4 days for it to cause problems, she started vomiting, then all of a sudden sreamed in agony(up to this no signs whatsoever) rushed her to vets she was opened up, rope toy was there. couple months pass and dish cloth went missing, I did not notice it missing, but she must have eaten it on the friday, we were at a SHOW on the sunday and she showed no signs of a blockage, on the tuesday she started screaming in pain, of course I had no clue she had eaten the cloth, I took her to vets they had to open her up and there it was.

then not two months later she tried to eat a pot towel got half of it down her while she was in the kitchen, I saw it and rushed her to vets they gave her an injection and made her violently sick she brought the lot up. I now keep soda chrystals to hand and if I thik she has eaten anything I throw a tablespoon down the back of her throat, it makes her sick and brings anything up she may have eaten, but I only use that when I know it has just happened. so as you can see a few days CAN pass witout any signs, so I would personally get your dog to the vets,

Mo
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2009, 12:10 PM
hi
my dogs have eaten various things and have gotten away with it! phewww
but many a dog does not,
my worry would be,if your dog is eating but not passing anything and being sick,it could be an indication of a 'foreign body'
if your dog is ok otherwise,i would book an appointment at the vets for the morning and take your dog pre-starved(i wouldn't feed your dog today anyway,just little amounts of water often)
by the way,your vet has to provide emergency o/h cover!!!
good luck,
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2009, 12:15 PM
I would seriously worry about a dog sicking up something broken and sharp though, because it could choke them on the way back up couldn't it, surely?!

Let's hope it's not what Mo thinks, but it could well be, you seem to have had a lot of experience on this Mo, I've never experienced it myself ever, thank goodness! When I recently asked my vet about a blockage due to my own pup's ill health, she said the dog would be vomiting, so seeing as how yours IS vomiting, I suppose it is possible?

I once had a spaniel who had eaten a cooked lamb chop bone which she whipped off somebody's plate and when I rushed her to the vet, coz she had swallowed it whole, they x-rayed her and saw it at the opening of the stomach, it was too big to go into the stomach, so they put her on the operation list for next day. When the next day came, they thankfully x-rayed her again before they opened her up, and saw that the lamb chop bone had entered the stomach and was on it's way quite safely they said, so they just left it.

I think x-rays might not be a bad idea for your dog hey, if he's sick again maybe? Such a worry aren't they!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >