Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2009, 03:27 PM

Marrow bones for pups - ja or nein?

It never really occured to me before now, but would you/have you given a puppy a raw marrow bone to chew on? by pups I mean younger than 6 months...baby teeth still intact!

Yes or no?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2009, 03:31 PM
I know a lot of people don't like to use them as they can break teeth, but I use them for teething pups. I guess it depends on how hard your dog goes at stuff. I couldn't give beef ribs or lamb bones to Loki because he went for it and would break off large chunks and swallow them, then vomit, but the Estrelas are more laid back when chewing bones.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2009, 03:31 PM
At six months I did yes, but her teeth were all through by then. I know that coz I have them all sitting here on my desk in my glasses case! Why? Is it wrong then??
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2009, 03:33 PM
My pup is having them, great for quiet times.

rune
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Right-o, good to know. Might unleash them on them tommorrow then. I remember the first time my Lab had them (and he was fed on a natural diet as a pup, too!)...in one end and out the other.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Right-o, good to know. Might unleash them on them tommorrow then. I remember the first time my Lab had them (and he was fed on a natural diet as a pup, too!)...in one end and out the other.
might be a good idea to scoop out some marrow then! Some dogs are fine with it - others get the squits!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2009, 04:32 PM
I have always used them - but beena bit careful about allowing them to get too much off them to start with.

My old boss (who breeds Manchester Terriers) used to put a couple in with her 4-5 week old pups to get them used to different things.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-08-2009, 05:07 PM
The dog guide school we raise puppies for forbids all natural bones. Dogs don't need bones. Aster never had a real bone in her life. When we put her to sleep at 15, her front teeth still had the 3 lobed texture like they do when they first come in. She loved her Nylabones and Kongs.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2009, 05:16 PM
I'm nervous about the contents of things like this now. We fed Woody lots of natural boney stuff as a pup and I'm certain it may have aided his sensitive tummy. It's all so rich and they're just not able to cope with it these days. Justg my opinion.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
The dog guide school we raise puppies for forbids all natural bones. Dogs don't need bones. Aster never had a real bone in her life. When we put her to sleep at 15, her front teeth still had the 3 lobed texture like they do when they first come in. She loved her Nylabones and Kongs.
Possibly not - but they like them!!

Jasper - My old BC will be 16 in a couple of months and has had marrow bones from local butchers all his life...he still has a full set of teeth
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >