View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2009, 11:00 AM

September: first month of the rest of my (financial) life...

Having forked out for all the trappings that go with a new dog, I am facing the 9 days till payday with about £30 to cover all my food and travel. Now I know that that is far from impossible, and I'm not really complaining, because I know that many people manage with less all the time.

BUT
considering how much I earn, I shouldn't be sailing so close to my overdraft limit every month and living in fear of my bank statements. Dammit, I shouldn't even be using my overdraft by this stage!

SO
I have opened a secondary spending account, I have spreadsheeted my finances to the nth degree, and I am rationalising how much I allow myself to fritter away on nothing in particular. I've got a weekly allowance to cover the weekly shop and frittering-money, but if I need to spend any more it has to be spreadsheeted. This time next year, I'll be overdraft-free and have a shiny new sewing machine to play with
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Well done, just think how much better you will feel now you have taken control
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Well done! BTW nearly-new sewing machines are really cheap - I`ve been offered 2 free ones on the past couple of months. Aldi were doing them for £40 a while back as well. So it`s worth looking around.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2009, 02:40 PM
THanks guys!

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
BTW nearly-new sewing machines are really cheap - I`ve been offered 2 free ones on the past couple of months. Aldi were doing them for £40 a while back as well. So it`s worth looking around.
I'm afraid I know exactly which one I'm going for, and it's a bit more than £40

I do love Aldi though!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Good luck - My finances have been much better since I did a spreadsheet, I had all kinds of Direct debits coming out here there and everywhere. Now I pay everything on the 1st of the month & never draw cash if I can help it as it gets squandered on nothing. The spreadsheet really helps you see what you've actually got!!

Which sewing machine are you after? a bernina or a phaff maybe!!!! I've got a Janome - they are really good
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Well done xxxx

I have a great spreadsheet.........Patrick