Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
beth15478
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-08-2009, 07:33 AM

Fearful dog coming into her own!

I have taken in a stray Chihuahua called Fifi. WE looked after her for three days until we found the owners but they decided they didnt want her. THe previous owners said they'd bought her from a puppy farm where she had been used for about six years so I really wanted to make a difference in her life.
I've not really had much experience with dogs so I have put a few posts on this forum which have been very helpful.

Fif is becoming more confident now although she is still extremely nervous while she's eating but I think that will come with trust. My main worry is the way she is behaving with my children. I have read on the internet that Chihuahuas aren't really suited to living with young children and mine are 2,5 & 7 yrs. My 7yr old is really fearful of her and although my 5yr old son wasn't he is becoming nervous. I understand that she must not be left alone with the children and I do my upmost so either separate or supervise when they are together.

I dont know much about dogs but even I can see by her posture that she is trying to dominate my children, esspecially my son. If he is sat on the sofa she will jump up onto the sofa and stare at him until he moves, he has now resorted to sitting on the arm of the chair so he feels safer. I dont know whether I'm reading too much into this but I dont want my children to feel frightened in their own home. Have I made the right choice to bringing this dog into our home?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-08-2009, 07:48 AM
Start training her to behave in an appropriate manner.
Just because she had a hard life before and you feel you want to make amends doesn't mean you have to become doormats for her mucky little paws.
Dogs appreciate having a few rules and boundaries, so if she can't behave on the sofa tell her to get off of it and don't allow her back on until her behaviour improves. I realise she probably wont take kindly to this so wearing a lead in the house might help with removal from the sofa.
The thing about her being nervous when eating, try not giving her a full bowl of food, just give a tiny amount and then add a bit more at a time, you can also get her to eat out of your hand rather than from the bowl until she seems more settled. Make her earn her food by sit, leave, down etc reward with her food each time she performs, you can practice the off on the sofa in the same way.
Don't let the little Diva walk all over you.
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2009, 08:06 AM
Could you feed her in a crate, where she feels safe?

I haven't had time to look through your previous posts, but something must have happened to make your children afraid of her...

Hope you get it sorted out..
beth15478
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-08-2009, 08:19 AM
I'd never thought of feeding her in the crate. We have bought a crate and she sleeps in there quite happily at night so I'm going to give that one a go.

Fifi "warned" my 2 yr old daughter last week. The dog was sat at my feet, as always and my daughter came up to see her and tried to touch her tail. Fifi turned quite quickly towards her. I do believe if she wanted to bite her she would have, the oppertunity was there. My older children weren't there when this happened and I've not seen or been told by them any reason why they are nervous of her.
She tries to be above my son all the time. It's the only time you see her stand "proud" tail up, neck and head held high, very alert. She'll go onto the sofa, put her paws on his lap and then take up this proud position and stare at him. I have never seen her play, Her previous owner said she'd never played for her either so could this be play, have I missread the signs?

I have just bought the book "It's me or the Dog" by Victoria Stilwell so I'm going to start doing some simple comands with her.
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2009, 09:39 AM
It might be worth getting in someone a behavorist that can tell you what your dog is doing by looking at the way it behaves. And can give you some help with dealing with the issues you have.
I have a dog that does not like children if a starnge one were to come and try to touch him he would turn around to see what its doing. I have four children he loves them and my friends but does not like strange ones.

If you search for APDT with will bring up a list of people near you that can help.