Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-07-2009, 02:03 PM

Give Her a Chance

Hi All

I was wondering about my pup she around 10 months old now, when we first got her she around 3 months ago she was chewing everything in sight when we were out so we bought her a crate, When would be the best time to give her a chance to prove herself to be left alone without destruction and how long would you start off for?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2009, 04:09 PM
I think I'd start with overnight, which is what we did, before deciding to do away with the crate altogether. That way, although you're still in, you're not watching her are you, so she gains some independence and gets used to being able to roam around without supervision, but you're there should anything happen. If she's anything like ours, she'll be wide awake at 5.00 am. looking for something to chew, so make sure she has plenty of her chewing toys around in different areas and see how she goes. That's what we did anyway and that way I knew I could safely leave her with the run of the house when I went out for an hour or two, and touch wood, so far so good!

I may have got this all wrong and you don't crate her overnight now anyway, in which case you can't take my advice, so the best bet is to do it in stages. Go out for 10 mins/20/30/40/50/60 until you feel certain she won't get herself into trouble, or doesn't eat your house whilst you're out. Kongs are great for keeping them occupied too, have you tried those?
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2009, 06:09 PM
I gave my pup a month in the crate then i let her in the sitting room for an hour while i was out. But she was never a chewer, just a serial pooper lol. We had one poop after that hour and never again. She just really didnt like being in the crate.

I would do what helena said on the second paragraph.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Some of my puppies have quit inappropriate chewing by 3-4 months. Some were still going strong after a year old. How is she doing when supervised?

Chewing the wrong thing can be dangerous. I wouldn't rush it.
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-07-2009, 07:16 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I think I'd start with overnight, which is what we did, before deciding to do away with the crate altogether. That way, although you're still in, you're not watching her are you, so she gains some independence and gets used to being able to roam around without supervision, but you're there should anything happen. If she's anything like ours, she'll be wide awake at 5.00 am. looking for something to chew, so make sure she has plenty of her chewing toys around in different areas and see how she goes. That's what we did anyway and that way I knew I could safely leave her with the run of the house when I went out for an hour or two, and touch wood, so far so good!

I may have got this all wrong and you don't crate her overnight now anyway, in which case you can't take my advice, so the best bet is to do it in stages. Go out for 10 mins/20/30/40/50/60 until you feel certain she won't get herself into trouble, or doesn't eat your house whilst you're out. Kongs are great for keeping them occupied too, have you tried those?
Hi Helena

Thanks for your advice, we have kept her out of her crate overnight and she settles down on our bed and goes to sleep and doesnt get up until we do at 7am the next morning, she has been very good in that respect.

My thoughts were next to do as you advised and leave for 10 mins then increase, she has a kong and other puzzle toys to keep her out of mischief so will give it a try at the weekend.
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-07-2009, 07:17 AM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Some of my puppies have quit inappropriate chewing by 3-4 months. Some were still going strong after a year old. How is she doing when supervised?

Chewing the wrong thing can be dangerous. I wouldn't rush it.
She is fine when we are in the house with her, she wont chew anything that she isnt supposed to, its only when we have gone out and left her but that was when we first got her and she chewed the front door ahhh, she hasnt done it while we have been in the house.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by kobebear View Post
Hi Helena

Thanks for your advice, we have kept her out of her crate overnight and she settles down on our bed and goes to sleep and doesnt get up until we do at 7am the next morning, she has been very good in that respect.

My thoughts were next to do as you advised and leave for 10 mins then increase, she has a kong and other puzzle toys to keep her out of mischief so will give it a try at the weekend.
I'd also shut a few doors to start off with until you know for sure you can absolutely be positive she can have the full run of this house! Maybe start with the kitchen if she tends to be in there most perhaps? That's what I did! Good luck, I'm sure she'll be fine though, you've already done the overnight bit, so she does have some independence already.