Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2009, 01:09 PM

Darnit!

So this morning checked my bank account, money there from the tax credits. I leave it about an hour or so and pop up to the local ATM. No Money! WTF?!

Go home and call bank ready to rip holes in someone. I am told that no they didn't do anything, someone already withdrew the money. Hrm, since OH was dead to the world on the couch and I have definately NOT got any money...what is going on.

Called the fraud people for my bank, someone in Barking has withdrawn money. Am I in Barking and been at Tesco...urm, check my details then a map mate. No, I'm definately not in Barking and unless there is a Star Trek type transporter I am never likely to be in Barking...

Turns out my card has been cloned. Apparently the ATM at the local supermarket has been monitored and cards are being cloned. It's happened to loads of people, I was up at the bank earlier and a fella at the next window had exactly the same, as did his daughter and his wife!

The police and the Fraud people for the bank have it in hand and my son had a wonderful time cutting up my bank card this morning Also the bank covered the money so we aren't stuck. So not panicking too much, although I think I will be a darned sight more careful about the ATM's I use.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2009, 02:18 PM
crickey that's scarey Good thing you noticed it so quickly and I'm glad that the bank didn't quibble about covering the money.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Blimey
What a shock.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Scary, glad it is sorted
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Glad you got your money back just a shame about the scum that are still doing these things.

My OH is in the navy and two years ago he got deployed to the Caribbean for 7 months - tough life eh?? Anyway whilst he was in Antigua he bought a cheap watch as he lost his other one somewhere, paid using his bank card and thought nothing else of it. Anyway I logged onto his online banking as he asked me to keep an eye on it and found he had apparently taken out £2132 for "travel cash money". Also at the time the ship was on secret mission so all communications including email had been cut so no way of contacting him. Went into panic mode thinking he'd been deployed elsewhere and had to fund his own travel.

Anyway I rang the bank and explained the situation to them and they shut his card down straight away and I then had to call Naval family services to ask them nicely if I could speak to the ship. Got told no and that I shouldn't be looking at my OHs bank account - note naval family services not helpful in the slightest! Finally convinced them when I said how much money had been taken and she agreed to put out emergency signal.

Turns out Rich had his card cloned and they basically emptied his account and his overdraft! He had to do the rest of his deployment with no bank card as well. He did panic when he got the signal as you normally only get one if someone close had died or is very sick.

Really makes you angry that people can get away with this type of thing but at least the banks are decent about it.