Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sparteezer
New Member!
Female 

20-06-2009, 10:56 PM

Owning dogs & working full time.

Does anyone own a dog(s) and work full time (37.5hrs per week)?

Can you give your explanations to yes and no please. And if yes, how do you fit your canine friend into your life?
Petrina
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Yep I work full time, she gets three walks a day and is perfectly fine being at home on her own in the day. It's not ideal obviously and I'm trying to retrain and change jobs so I can eventually work from home. Then I can get more dogs too!
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-06-2009, 03:55 AM
My wife and I's schedules have always worked out that one or the other can give the dog a break after no more than 4-5 hours.

I often suggest people that can't make it back find a neighbor or professional dog walker to give the dog a break. I am a bid fan of doggy day care too.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2009, 06:31 AM
I work full time, but come home at lunchtime to spend time with my dogs. Even though I used to leave a dog for 8 hours, due to the distance to work, I don't think I'd be happy doing that again.

If I had to work further away from home, then I would employ a dog walker to come in at lunchtimes.

Hope this helps.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2009, 06:55 AM
We work full time, however i work 9 - 5 and hubby works 6 -2, dogs are walked in a morning, he spends all afternnon with them and then we both take them out for a good run on a night. In winter we do the same we just go to the woods with head torches.

When we are home we spend all our time with them, and they come everywhere they can with us.

They do just fine when we are at work, but then there is 4 of them so they do keep each other company as well
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-06-2009, 07:41 AM
I work full time, and can't come home during my shifts, because I work with people, and have to take my breaks according to their needs...

Ben is fine... I have worked full time all my life, and have always had dogs..
viktory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Yes, everyone is my family works full time. Ruby is left for between 4-5 hours in the morning. My son comes home at lunchtime for about 30-45 minutes when Ruby gets to play/toilet and have some lunch, before being left for about 3 hours in the afternoon.

I walk her for 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the evening with longer walks at the weekend. She also due to start training classes once a week.

Ruby is crated during the day and is a very happy, healthy and well balanced member of our family.
Lil Dee
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-06-2009, 05:22 PM
I leave mine 4 hours in the morning come home for lunch to let them out for the loo and grab a very quick bite to eat then back to work for and leave them for 5 hours but I put the guilt trip on my mum and she comes over and lets them out and feeds them the contents of the treat tub but denies it but if i don't come home for whatever reason and my mum cant they are fine they just sleep and make the most of me not being there lol usually sleeping on the bed! but i try to make sure they are not left anymore than 4 hours but if your going to be leaving your dogs what i done was to start leaving them for very short periods then slowly build that up there was a couple of times they chewed but I just made sure i walked them for an hour to an hour and a half even if it meant i was out at 5 in the morning and that seems to have worked out great for me but hey might not for others
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2009, 05:30 PM
Me and OH both work full time but I am lucky enough to work 5 minutes away from where we live so I come home at lunchtime to spend best part of an hour with Monty.

He gets a walk in the mornings and then again in the evening. When we are out he has the run of the kitchen and is left with a treat ball and occasionally a cardboard box to destroy!

He has coped with his/our routine very well, he nevers bark when we are out or chews the furniture so we are very lucky.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Have to say that my lot just sleep. Almost every lunchtime I wake them up.....
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »