Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2009, 09:05 PM

getting breathless

Really daft question but is it ok for young dogs to get quite breathless?
We do the same walk off lead (just under a mile) takes about 30 mins though I guess Tilly does more with all the back & forths & now that that corn has grown (which the farmer allows the dogs to run through but not children) she does a lot of leaping about - but on hot days like today she is so out of breath/panting I wonder is it too much (she's 7 months)
Hub says i'm over-acting.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2009, 09:09 PM
She's a baby, in this heat it could well be too much. I always restrict the energy levels in this hot weather. I took mine out just for 1 mile tonight, 7.30ish, on the bike, they were puffed when we got back!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2009, 09:11 PM
She might just need a drink??
My two are panting just now and they havent moved for about an hour - they just dont do well in the heat - I wet a bandana and tie it round their necks and that seems to help cool them down

Just watch out she isnt ovedoing it - get her in the shade and watch the colour of her toungue and stuff
but dogs pant to cool down - I would say its just the heat
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Thanks - yes I didn't take drink with me today (didn't realise how warm it was) and she dived straight into her water when we got back (paws & all) then took a good 10 mins for her to stop panting.
I do worry like an old hen
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2009, 09:22 PM
you could hardly hear yourself think in my house with all the panting after my lot had there run this evening, the heat makes such a big diff to them

poss changing the time of your walk to early morning or later in the evening on hot days so its a bit cooler may work,

thats how I try to work it.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2009, 06:00 AM
Nothing wrong with worrying, hon, so many of us do far too much of it

Sounds to me like she was just a tad over-hot.

Mine only get walked twice a day in the heat - first thing (6-ish) and last thing (9-ish).
sbt4eva
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-05-2009, 07:00 AM
When its hot like recently i take my two out either befor 8am or after about 8ish pm,like already said she was just a wee hot.Good to put ice cubes in the drinking water too,keeps it nice and cold
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2009, 07:24 AM
Looks like another hot day so good idea - I will take this evening instead of this afternoon
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2009, 07:46 AM
It was baking here yesterday, as a rule ours would have 2 hours (in normal weather) yesterday they only got 15 mins mid afternoon as it was so hot, then they went out again last night for 1 1/2 hours but it was cooler then.

Bruce our short haired is the one who suffers out of my three, something I noticed last year, so hot days I take a wet towel which can be thrown over him.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2009, 10:32 AM
we went at 10am this morning - quite hot even then but she was much better as we stopped for drinks with a bit tipped over her head which she loves!
Flaked out now!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >