Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2009, 01:23 PM

The bank!

I went to the bank today to pay some cash in, and also a cheque I had.

I paid both in, went back to work, and checked my bank account to see what bills had come out etc.
I noticed the cash I had just paid in wasn't showing up, and because of that, I was £60 overdrawn.

I phoned the bank, and she said cos I paid a cheque in, I also had to wait for the cash to 'clear'! She said it's my own fault for not asking it to be paid in, in 2 transactions!
Sorry, but i've never heard anything so stupid!
If I'd have known they would put cash through as a cheque, I would have asked, but it's never happened that way before!

She said she would 'try' to sort it out, but she may not be able to.
Anyway, she phoned back not long ago saying she managed to sort it out, and the cash has gone into my bank, but next time I have to ask for it to be paid in seperately, cos it's my own fault!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2009, 01:28 PM
What !!

Never heard of that before.....but I guess thats another way to get interest of unsuspecting people - I wonder how many people don;t check thier account straight after the money has been paid in?
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-05-2009, 01:32 PM
My sister used to work for a certain bank, and she was told that if (e.g.) an account held £49.99, and a $50.00 cheque was drawn on it at the same time as £100.00 was deposited, the cheque (causing an overdraft) had to be processed first, so that all the charges could be applied. She was so offended that she left. That's banking for you - legalised theft.

Snorri
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2009, 01:54 PM
What utter rubbish.. I think its more like the bank clerk made a mistake and they are covering for her..

I pay cash and cheques in together regularly and the cash always goes straight in without clearing..
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
What utter rubbish.. I think its more like the bank clerk made a mistake and they are covering for her..

I pay cash and cheques in together regularly and the cash always goes straight in without clearing..
Yep, thats whats always happened in the past with me!
Grrrr, it makes me mad, the fact she said it was MY fault!!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2009, 01:59 PM
What a bunch of pillocks! Honestly, you couldn't make it up!
Gellygoo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Absolute rubbish. Cash is cleared funds ALWAYS, although if its paid in at a different branch to the one you bank with, it does take 3 days to get there!!
If you are paying in at your own branch and you pay in a cheque drawn on that branch, payable to you, thats cleared funds too.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Tosh and twaddle. she has made the mistake and trying to cover herself, everyone knows cash is cleared intsantly.
Idiots
Elaine x
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 07:16 AM
It's not rubbish! I read this only a couple of days ago as I'm thinking of changing banks and it clearly states if you pay cash and cheque in together in the same transaction then the money doesn't count as cash! Best way to do it is use one of those envelopes for your cheques and stick it in the box as they will process it that day and pay the cash in over the counter!
Becky
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
It's not rubbish! I read this only a couple of days ago as I'm thinking of changing banks and it clearly states if you pay cash and cheque in together in the same transaction then the money doesn't count as cash!
I'm sure it's true, but that doesn't make it any less rubbish, if you see what I mean! They do seem to design their rules to be so illogical and obscure that it would take a fricking accountant to avoid getting stung by their charges somewhere along the line
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >