Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
B3utifulmind
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-05-2009, 08:31 PM

Bitch 60 days in whelp.

I'm so sorry to butt in here but as a newbie to the site who joined to ask advice on my whelping bitch (yep irresponsible ownership as my male got her while we were in the process of moving house literally), I'm afraid that the way things are being said are enough to scare me from asking for advice and to be honest I'm very wary of adding this reply. I personally was hoping when I started reading this thread to get an insight into the signs of labour but obviously all I have personally seen is put downs yes maybe the way the original poster said things weren't to everyones liking but.. it did seem to more come down to verbal sparring than verbal support/advice.

I personally have had my bitch to the vets constantly to make sure that she's ok. She's almost 2 yrs old and yes I know that's young but I personally have been in a theatre when a vet has spayed a bitch while it was pregnant and needless to say that's put me off having that done to my girl. She is already booked in to be spayed when the pups are 6 weeks old so this will never happen to her again as I personally wouldn't want her to go through this again as her mother was "over" bred by her owners.

Yes I could have got the injection for her if I could have afforded it at the time but with the move needless to say I was totally caught off guard and believe me I beat myself up about it every blinking day so please don't start adding to it thanks. I would be personally appreciative of any advice going and yes I do agree with a lot of what's been said but I bow my head to that and just ask for help on signs etc. Yes I do have things arranged if my bitch can't feed the pups for any reason and I have already found out through scans that she is having 5 pups. My vet is on standby but as Cassie is timid I don't like to upset her at a time like that unless she really needs it and hence why I'm reading everything I can so that I'm ready to help if I can.

Again constructive advice would be greatly appreciative and please no beating me up mentally as I keep doing that myself.
B3utifulmind
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-05-2009, 08:32 PM
Ooops I also meant to say that all these pups will have excellent homes as umpteen of my family are taking them and as we are a family of dog lovers they will be very well looked after (oh yes they are both springer spaniels)
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 08:35 PM
how far into your dogs pregnacy was she scanned?
was it around 30 days?

when is she roughly due her pups?

I would recoment the book of the bitch to anyone with a litter due, its like the breeding bible and its not expensive,
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Hi,

The difference is, your bitch is almost twice the age of the OP and is maybe far better able to carry pups and deal with them once born.

Laura xx
B3utifulmind
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-05-2009, 09:24 PM
My bitch was nearly 40 days gone when she was scanned and she is now 60 days and due on friday but tonight I've noticed some drops of water she's woofing everything in sight including stealing the cat's dry food. She also seems very restless and tho she's not panting she is breathing heavier. I think she's going into labour but as I'm not a 100% sure that's why I was coming on this site

Any help would be appreciated at this moment thanks
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 09:56 PM
I would keep a close eye on her,

this link will give you loads of info

http://vetmedicine.about.com/gi/dyna...o_puppies.html
B3utifulmind
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-05-2009, 10:46 PM
Thanks Shona I'm just gonna read it now
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 04:16 AM
good Luck hope all goes well

Jeanette
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 07:51 AM
Normally (not always) a bitch will go off their food just before whelping, the heavier breathing 'may' just be down to carrying the extra weight, have you taken her temp?? Normally when it drops below 37 then things should start happening. She will pant, pace, dig, then sleep solid, then start all over again.

Also don't rely on the scan being correct on numbers.....if your vet definitely saw 5 there could well be more, so make sure you have a few 'extra' homes waiting. My Inca, last summer, was scanned as having 6, she went on to have 9!! Which is a huge litter for a cocker spaniel.

No point in lecturing you, the biggest concern is making sure mum whelps safely and that you know what to do in case of emergencies. As has been mentioned if you haven't already got it, get a copy of the Book of The Bitch, read it, then read it again, it will never tell you everything, but hopefully give you some idea on what to do. If during whelping you feel something isn't right, then please don't hesitate to call your vet, time is off the essence and a delay could cost you the life of both mum and her babies.

Good luck.
jazzydoodle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-05-2009, 09:43 AM
Good luck, hope everything goes well x
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »