View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shell28
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-05-2009, 05:02 AM

How can I stop my 1 year old Lab from ripping up a couch?

Any idea's on how I can teach my 1 year old Labrador Cassie not to go ripping up the couch both of our dog's sleep on it was in perfect condition until about 3 weeks ago it was never meant to be for our dog's but we had no where to put it so it fitted in nicley on our porch and our dog's claimed it for their bed and now Cassie has started to dig and rip it maybe to make it more to her likeing how ever I want her to stop before it gets too bad? any one able to help with this please tell me how to stop it thanks
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2009, 08:08 AM
Does she have a dog bed of her own? is she crated?

I wouldn't have even contemplated leaving my now 6 year old Lab with free range at 1 year old. Like yours, he would shred the sofa to pieces if I let him. So, when I left the house or couldn't supervise him, he would go in his crate. For us, it was just the easiest solution to the problem. When he was about 18 months old and over the destructive puppy phase, we de-crated him, got him a normal dog bed and he was fine.
shell28
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-05-2009, 08:51 AM
No Cassie doesn't have a dog bed of her own she ripped that apart when she was much younger and when she was old enough she joined J-D our older dog onto the couch she has slept on this for such a long time and only now has started to rip it , we do not have any type of crate as we have a huge back yard which they both guard how ever Cassie has been locked up in a large Aviary turned dog run and hates being locked up so for our peace and our neighbors we allow them to run free , she has just started this I would like help knowing how to stop her .
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2009, 09:15 AM
Try putting an ancient blanket on it. Some dogs like to `nest` before they settle.
shell28
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-05-2009, 09:18 AM
Thanks I'll try that anything is worth ago.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2009, 09:23 AM
Well if she is indeed in whelp to your other dog she is probably nesting!!!! or unsettled due to the fact she is confused by the way her body is feeling due to the pregnancy...
She's a baby..it will unsettle her..I would be expecting her to act strange
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
Well if she is indeed in whelp to your other dog she is probably nesting!!!! or unsettled due to the fact she is confused by the way her body is feeling due to the pregnancy...
She's a baby..it will unsettle her..I would be expecting her to act strange
Totally agree.....
stunt monkey
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-05-2009, 09:58 PM
perhaps get them a bed each and encourage them to stay off the couch my dogs are much more contented now that they have a place to settle down on that is their own.