Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2009, 01:45 PM

What else to use (head collars etc)

Isis is a absolute cow on the lead she always has been and any training that i've done with her has well and truely been a waste of time if im honest she just flatly refuses to walk to heel, It's that bad i've even tried walking faster
When I first got her I put a long line on her and as soon as she pulled I walked the other way this went on for months and I made no progress what so ever
Anyway I've used a lupi harness - took her 3 seconds to get out of it
A K9 Bridle - Took her about 30 seconds to get out of
A Dogmatic - Took her about 2 mins to get out of.

The dogmatic is my fav one it fitted really well and I had the most control over her with it on.
She bucked constantly with it on and managed to get her foot in it and take it off, I then put it on again got a bit further down the road with her bucking and screaming like a banshee and she somehow managed to get it in her mouth and started to choke herself

When I put it on her I totally ignored her messing around and carried on walking but it made no difference.
Is there any other contraption like a dogmatic or am I just fighting a loosing battle?
Is it better to keep battling with the dogmatic on her or try something else?
Any help would be brill
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2009, 02:05 PM
A shotgun?

Seriously, could you try to persist with the dogmatic? They seem very good to me.
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2009, 02:17 PM

I've done a quick search and nothing seems better than a dogmatic so i reckon im gonna have to suck it up and just persist with it, I could even understand if it was 2 big or small for her but it fits perfectly on her the madam
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2009, 02:20 PM
Clip the D ring on the collar onto the lead, as well as the DMagtic, that works for be.

So on your lead clip you have the DM ring & your Collar Ring.

Worth a try
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Not a headcollar but Walkezee harnesses are really good
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2009, 02:30 PM
I prefer the Premier Easy walk or Sens-ible harnesses...(you can get these in the UK now) not yet found a dog who doesn't walk better on them and used them on a couple of NI's (I think someone else on here has one on thiers?)

I have seen different verisions of this harness now (CoA have brought out the Hatil harness) bit none of them seem quite as easy to put on as the ones I mentioned.

Good luck
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Thanks guys,
I'm gonna try again 2morrow with your suggestion mishflynn and see how she gets on.

Im not expecting miracles but it would be nice to walk her without being dragged to the fields and back

I'll have a look at the other suggestions if she still refuses to walk with a dogmatic on after a few weeks xx
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by Jem View Post
The dogmatic is my fav one it fitted really well and I had the most control over her with it on.
She bucked constantly with it on and managed to get her foot in it and take it off, I then put it on again got a bit further down the road with her bucking and screaming like a banshee and she somehow managed to get it in her mouth and started to choke herself

When I put it on her I totally ignored her messing around and carried on walking but it made no difference.
Is there any other contraption like a dogmatic or am I just fighting a loosing battle?
Is it better to keep battling with the dogmatic on her or try something else?
Any help would be brill
I do feel a lot of sympathy as being able to walk a dog in a relaxed manner is pretty important when it comes to having a dog.

With headcollars etc though, really they are not meant to be put on and the dog made to accept them, as most dogs really need to be desensitised and helped to accept such a contraption on their face. It is completely unnatural to them and your dog I will say sounds pretty stressed poor girl. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be enough info out there about how to start them off.

It's a bit like wearing glasses, and to be honest I think some never really get to enjoy or even tolerate the feeling (which is similar to why some of us prefer contact lenses ).

If my dog was really upset by the headcollar I must say I'd not use it. I'd probably get in a trainer for a good one to one session (using reward method) as there are quite a few ways of teaching walking in a relaxed manner.

I'd suggest, as others have, a good quality non pull harness eg Halti, Walkezee, etc as these seem to work well for pretty much everybody (not yet spoken to anyone they don't work for ).

Wys
x
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2009, 02:42 PM
I use a Canny Collar on Jess and it is ok.

I have heard very good reports of the walk easy (not spelt like that) harnesses.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-04-2009, 02:49 PM
I have used the halti headcollar, which rode into their eyes and they were out of in seconds,then the dogmatic which was fantastic, but they kept chewing their way out of it by keep catching the dangling bit underneath, and then discovered the gentle leader (whilst waiting for my dogmatics to be stitched up yet again). It doesn't ride up into their eyes and they are quite settled in it. Lona did discover that she could get out of it by hooking her paw over it behind her ears but I just pass the head loop through her collar before fastening it and she is captive.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >