View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2009, 09:06 PM

How do I train him to wee in one place only?

We're starting to re do our garden for the summer, after a certain young man has ruined it, bit by bit:

As it's so small we want to try and re-train Woody to "empty" round the side of the fence on the tarmac driveway so we can wash it down every now and then and so it's hidden from sight. It'll also stop the horrific ammonia smell that is alll over the gravel as I don't think the ground underneath drains well.

We bought some "get off" gel on Sunday and scrubbed the whole back garden with hot water and washing powder to get rid of current smell, then put it down.

Every time he scratches to go out we run with him to the driveway and say his command "empty'', but he just looks at you and then runs into the garden to wee and comes back!

Any suggestions please peeps? I'm sure there must be a way.
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2009, 09:12 PM
I suspect he won't like going on tarmac due to it splashing back at him or running on to his feet?? My Dogs prefer to go on mud, grass or bark. Gravel is probably the same. drains away well. can you find a bit of mud he can use rather than tarmac?
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2009, 09:13 PM
We could build him a little gravel toilet I guess?

He has weed on pavements before, plenty of times on walks etc
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2009, 09:20 PM
There is something you can buy called a pee post. Not sure if they work but might be worth a try?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2009, 09:21 PM
They do get used to peeing on a specific type of surface..so it could well be he is at home on the gravel..at home!
Best thing to do is fence off a bit of gravel close to the house, so you can get him into it every time he needs to pee or poo. Reward him when he goes in it on command with a treat...and sometimes with a play on the rest of the garden. The best way is not t let him on the rest of the garden at all...not even for a little bit, for at least a week to 10 days. If you are going to do it...and only allow him to pee on a certain area, you do have to be really strict initially. REALLY strict, everytime oyu let him spend somewhere else in the garden you can add another day onto training him to go in his area.
It is more than possible to do...Biff has recently learnt this as he doesn't go out anymore but I don't want him peeing all over my sons stuff...he's almost 13. Cosmo has a pen that he has always used and runs from the main part of the garden into his pen to have a poo etc.

The trick is the positioning of the pen and total and utter consistency.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2009, 10:28 PM
I have stopped my dogs from going in the rear garden because everytime they wee on the grass or shrubs or perennials, they die. The lawn gets covered in dead patches which eventually join up and you get a very large muddy patch. They are only young so love to race around chasing each other, smashing all the plants to bits, they all dig in the flower beds, and they love ripping climbers down off the trellis, arches or fences. I was worried about my wisteria being ripped off the wall of the house.

I love my garden and believe you can have happy dogs and a beautiful garden at the same time, without getting stressed. We made the dogs a very large, secure, washable yard outside the kitchen door which they have unlimited access to play with their toys, each other or sunbathe in. They occasionally wee in it but prefer to wait until the walk to poo, when I pick it up. They get 2+ hours exercise per day split into 2 walks, in addition to their playing and wrestling in the yard. But I get to keep my garden looking beautiful without having to constantly re-turf sections of lawn and replace smashed or dead plants and fill up deep holes.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2009, 09:20 AM
To get rid of the smell use dilute Jeyes Fluid. It`ll kill plants so only on the gravel.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2009, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
There is something you can buy called a pee post. Not sure if they work but might be worth a try?
Didn't work with Loki, but they are all different! It does have a spike on it and has to go into soft ground though.
Lupus
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Its a tedious job and does take time with some,but what we did is we sectioned off an area of our garden as a toileting/play area, its part paving slab and part dirt, its where the grass won't grow! we've managed to consistantly train 7 dogs to toilet in that one area and three of them were short term foster dogs.

I recommend taking him out on a lead ONLY when he needs to toilet and take him to the area you wish to use, give him the command and wait patiently with him. If he doesn't go after ten minutes, take him back in then take him out again when he needs to go again. Because he is on lead he cannot go anywhere else to toilet so eventually he'll get the idea, when he does finally do it LOADS of praise and he will pick it up after that. Don't let him go anywhere else as it will defeat the object, you have to be quite firm and consistant and as a couple of tohers have said, restrict his play in the garden to prevent him from having mishaps where you don't want him to. It will set you back days!!

If you can fence of an area and secure it i would recommend leaving him in that area without you standing over him as he's more likely to sniff around and relieve himself. stay close by to keep an eye so when he does go you can praise him, but not enough to distract him from the task in hand. All we have to do now when the dogs need to toilet is tell them to 'go down the end' and voila! off they trot do their business and they can have some play in the main garden. I hope you work it out, good luck with re-doing the garden
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Thanks everyone, I'm going to give it a go tomorrow now that I'm off work for a few days. Good idea about the lead Lupus!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >